We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort or Holiday home

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dunedin, New Zealand
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Resort or Holiday home

I am bringing my 4 teenagers from 16 - 21 to Raro in early Dec and we are weighing up accommodation options. I thought a resort would provide us with more things to do together and separately if wanting some time apart :) but accomodation for that number of people in resorts seem very small as opposed to the houses that you can hire for a similar price. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks we are very excited

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
12,907 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort or Holiday home

Kia Orana Sarah, welcome to the forum.

I can well understand your dilemma; either staying at a resort with lots of facilities and services on-site or being completely independent to make your own fun entirely.

With less staff and overheads, a s/c holiday home can work out much cheaper than a full-service resort villa. In between there are low-key resorts that retain s/c villas, but which don't have onsite restaurants and planned activities. Some may have a guest pool though, and a games room as well.

Much depends on the time of year, with peak season commanding premium prices. Just prior to Christmas it is likely that you will gain good value for money with less tourists around in general.

I suggest you review several of the resort websites to see what they offer all ages of your group. Also look around some of the holiday home sites to find out what private rentals charge and what facilities are available. In your search, try to ascertain which locality you wish to stay, with Muri providing lots of activities within a close proximity and other areas have different amenity values e.g. better snorkelling, swimming, less people on the beaches, smaller populations etc - like Tikoki - Titikaveka; Avaavaroa - Vaimaanga; Aroa - Kavera.

Starting out now to get the style accommodation and space you require should provide you with sufficient time to fine tune your wish-list. Keep an eye on airfares too.

All the best with your holiday plans. Kia manuia.

try to

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,689 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resort or Holiday home

Hi sarahgordo

A lot of people start off staying in resorts, but once they have stayed in holiday houses they never want to change back to resorts.

That's one of the great things about Rarotonga - such a great choice of this type of accommodation. After the freedom and increased space in this type of accommodation I just don't like resort type accommodation anywhere. And it's just wonderful not to have the frustration of wondering when housekeeping are going to turn up to service the room.

Your children are well past the stage of needing entertainment arranged for them so I'd have thought holiday homes would be ideal. Have a look at the holiday homes sites and, maybe, contact one of the local agents for more information. Many offer kayaks and most will have a barbecue.

You've probably already found this site?

holidayhomes.co.nz/for-rent/…

A wonderful range of accommodation sites - many are private owners which is great, but agents also advertise on this site nowadays.

Many of the regular visitors to Raro, like me, who frequent this site regularly stay in the south of Rarotonga in the Titikaveka area. Vaimaanga is also popular.

If you do decide to go for the holiday home option, do come back if you see anything you fancy. There are lots available but hopefully one of us will know something about them.

Early December is between seasons, so should be a good time to get a good choice of accommodation.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,907 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resort or Holiday home

In addition to the holiday-homes site, there is Book a Bach which is increasingly popular as a research tool - bookabach.co.nz/baches-and-holiday-homes/sea…

http://www.ck also lists holiday homes, as does www.jetsave.co.ck

Some of the resort style complexes with fully s/c villas (which I referred to above) include Muri Beach Resort (south end of Muri); Palm Grove (south); Lagoon Breeze (south); Puaikura Reef (south); Coral Sands (mid west); and Cooks Oasis (NW). These properties combine reception & bookings desk/onsite security/daily servicing/activities &/or pools, that many people seek from a holiday. Especially for a first visit to the island.

I hope your accommodation search and holiday plans are progressing well.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resort or Holiday home

Hi sarahgordo,

We prefer to stay in private rentals rather than resorts as we like the flexibility of being able to self cater or eat out. We also like the relative privacy that a private rental offers.

It's true that many of the resorts do have self catering accommodation but as nzlilibet has mentioned, with private rentals you don't have to be concerned about when housekeeping is likely to arrive. Having been the parent of teenagers I know how they like to sleep in, even on holidays.

For us a pool isn't important when you have a beautiful lagoon at your doorstep, neither is a reception desk - usually the owner of the property is there to greet you & usually there are brochures in your rental with suggestions on what activities are available on the island.

Decide on the area in which you wish to stay - check out the link that nzlilibet has provided for you for accommodation then get back to us with any specific questions about accommodation, once you have a short list.

Happy Planning.

Dunedin, New Zealand
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Resort or Holiday home

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I have shortlisted aroa pool villa which seems pretty nice. Has anyone got any comments or feedback for me before I go ahead and confirm? I love this website and all help.

Cheers

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,907 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Resort or Holiday home

Hi again Sarah,

A very nice part of the island! You have the luxury of a private pool, a spacious home in a quiet location, and the Aroa marine reserve at your fingertips.

Good area for dining options too, with Cocoputt, Kaena, the Rarotongan and the Kavera takeaways all close by.

I'm sure you will all enjoy your holiday. Kia manuia.

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,533 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Resort or Holiday home

Did you find these reviews - pretty good and no one hit wonders!

tripadvisor.com.au/…REVIEWS

Regards

Suzi

Edited: 4:41 am, July 08, 2014
8. Re: Resort or Holiday home

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:39 pm, August 16, 2014
Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
780 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Resort or Holiday home

Felicity,

Four posts either recommending Cook Executive Villas or sending a pm in my view is biased advertising.

You should have done a review.

Personally I would not stay at this property because I'd get fed up with having to walk to the beach when I could stay right on the beach.

Auckland
Level Contributor
69 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Resort or Holiday home

Sorry, I hadn't realised that it would be a problem and I imagine you are right and I should have done a review - just didn't think it through, my apologies.