We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Watching

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hastings, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Whale Watching

Hey,

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if any whales are there yet? I am coming in September and hoping to see some.

Thanks

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,108 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale Watching

Kia Orana Sportstar, welcome to the forum.

I saw one whale towards the end of May - cruising in the ocean off Black Rock. Similar sightings were also reported at that time.

There hasn't been much publicity of late. Our whale-lady is offshore at present, but I'm happy to phone the Whale Centre to speak with a marine-expert there for more recent information.

Seas have been calm in recent days. In these conditions whales can be spotted from the shoreline; along the northern reef-line especially, when they are present. If I hear of anything I'll post to this thread.

All the best with your forthcoming trip in September. Kia manuia.

Edited: 1:13 pm, June 27, 2014
Hastings, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale Watching

Thanks Frangipani08, really appreciate this.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
86 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale Watching

Hi Sportstar,

We have been to Raro six times, always around August, September and we have seen whales every time. I am sure you will see some too. One of our favourite spots to watch them is sitting at Shipwreck Hut bar, sipping a coctail. Enjoy your holidays.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,108 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale Watching

Glad to hear you have seen good viewings from the Shipwreck Bar, Eva & Pete. That's a wonderful spot!

I've heard that a group of 6 - 7 whales were observed from the Fishing Club in Tupapa fairly recently, and by a number of guests on that occasion.

They are around.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,720 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale Watching

Hi Sportstar

I'm sure there will still be whales around when you go in September. We're usually there in October and have seen them.

One year we saw them while sitting have a pre-dinner drink in Trader Jacks.

Last year a large pod was seen from the Tamarind House restaurant one evening. Unluckily for us it was the evening before we dined there so we missed out!

So you have to be in the right place at the right time. But it is very exciting when you do see them. So I hope you are lucky.

Hastings, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale Watching

Awesome stuff, I am very happy about this. I have tried researching boats that do the whale watching up close (but not to disturb), do you have any information on what ones are best for this? Or does it depend on the time of year etc.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,720 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whale Watching

Hi again

All the boat trips stay inside the lagoon. There are no whale watching trip I'm afraid.

Hastings, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Whale Watching

Hi,

Hmmmm that's a shame. Thanks for that and the quick reply

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
86 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whale Watching

Couple of years ago in September, our friends went deep sea fishing with one of the fishing charters (don't know the name, just that the owner is an Aussie, Brad maybe?) and while they were catching fish they saw heaps of whales. They caught two huge marlins also. Maybe you should try this while there.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,108 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whale Watching

Sail Rarotonga was offering whale watching trips from their former vessel, Southern Cross, last year. They now operate the Eastern Star for inter-island charter trips - sunset cruises - and private charters.

Suggest when you arrive Rarotonga, contact Keith on Mobile number 74919, about the Eastern Star.

Great suggestion from Eva and Pete, for a fishing trip - combined with whale watching.