We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dengue Outbreak

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
207 reviews
Save Topic
Dengue Outbreak

Hi Everyone,

The media over here is reporting 44 cases of Dengue Fever and a possible outbreak? For those of us travelling to the Cooks within the next 2 - 3 weeks, should we be worried? (I arrive Mar 22) Or is it all just a little overexaggerated?

Unfortunately i'm the guy that has a black cloud following me when it comes to mosquitos and find even with DEET slapped all over me they still aren't deterred.

Cheers

Cam

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,820 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dengue Outbreak

Hi Harvsman

It is officially an outbreak but in its early stages and hopefully it won't be as bad as the last one. This thread is probably the one to read and to keep in touch with for latest reports.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294328-i2626-k721…

Yes, there are 44 probable cases. Blood test results are awaited to confirm that it is, in fact, dengue and, if so, what type it is.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,303 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dengue Outbreak

Hi Harsman. I too are travelling to cook islands soon and were concerned. So I consulted my Doctor. He recommended using Sawyer spray on clothing as it reduces the contact on skin. And using DEET in exposed skin areas, but wash off prior to going to bed. Other recommendations were to take the plug in mozzie repellers and put in your room and leave on. then there are the usual light coloured clothing and long sleeves and trousers. But honestly, that doesnt sound much of a holiday if you have to cover up with long clothing. So we are going for the insect repellant!

If you are concerned I suggest you listen to well meaning travellers and updates (which are great), but consult your doctor if you are concerned and want medical advice.

Rarotonga
Level Contributor
276 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dengue Outbreak

Being sensible you've got more chance catching flu from the sneezy guy sitting behind you in the plane.

As ever precautions such as Deet mozzie repellant, mozzie coils and long trowsers in the evening are sensible. BTW I'm not sure you can call 44 cases an outbreak and reading the paper they haven't got the results back yet to confirm dengue. It could be one of three mozzie viruses and none of them are life theatening except in unusal circumstances - just the same as flu is. Just be sensible.

Pakou

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dengue Outbreak

poppynz, Harvsman, like myself comes from Australia - can you tell us where we can purchase "Sawyer "?

Pakou, how many cases constitutes an outbreak?

Mr Vaeau, the Cook Islands Health Protection Manager as been reported as referring to the current situation as an outbreak - who are we travellers to believe you or him?

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
26 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dengue Outbreak

I am also concerned but fortunately we have until mid-May before we head south to the islands. Still wondering how many tourists actually contracted Denque Fever of the more than 1200 cases confirmed in the last big outbreak of 2009. If anyone has this information, it would be very helpful!

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dengue Outbreak

Bill, It's difficult to determine how many tourists contracted dengue. The incubation period can be from 3-14 days so tourists who contracted the disease may have left the country. The mossies don't distinguish between locals and tourists. Once infected, you are not immune so locals who have contracted the disease in the past are still vulnerable.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,303 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dengue Outbreak

Hi Fernsie. Sawyer Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent is produced in USA but if freely available in a numbef of countries. I purchased a spray on via google search on the internet and quite a few stores and internet stores in NZ have it. I did a quick search for Australia and it is also available there.

Apparently, it has, or is, used by land based army in areas as well.

It contains Permethrin which is an insecticide effective at killing insects that come in contact with treated gear. it bonds to the fibres of the treated fabric, so making the potential for skin absorption negligible.

We used it when we went to Vietnam and didnt get a bite, while our host was covered in bites during our jungle walk. But we also used insect repellant on exposed skin areas.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,820 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dengue Outbreak

Hi all

This is the link to sawyer products mentioned by poppy.

sawyer.com/products/type/insect-repellents/

There is a variety including different chemicals - permethrin (the clothing one), deet and picaridin.

Rarotonga
Level Contributor
276 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dengue Outbreak

Sorry incorrect Puapii-teacher "Once infected, you are not immune so locals who have contracted the disease in the past are still vulnerable."

You actually have lifelong immunity to each strain of which there are 4. You also have immunity from all strains for up to 3 months if you have had dengue recenty. That's one of the major reasons that it stops it spreading. So one of the factors of how well it spreads is how many people already have immunity to the strain that is circulating.

I read in todays paper today that there were 400 cases in 2009. That is an outbreak Fernsie. So far there are 36 cases here. And as a positive all the schools are being sprayed before the weekend along with any properties that have a possible case.

Pakou

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
26 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dengue Outbreak

I believe the final numbers in 2009 were just under 1200 confirmed cases according to CI News and the Red Cross.

Get answers to your questions about Rarotonga