We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight to/from LAX

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
63 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Flight to/from LAX

We got 9 inches of snow here last night...this trip cannot come soon enough! How bad is this flight going to be? This will be my longest flight to date and I am really hoping I will get some sleep. Anyways, for the return flight do most people just hang out at their hotel until the evening? My husband thought maybe we could check our bags early and walk around, but since our flight is so late I can't imagine that there will be that much to do.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight to/from LAX

How bad is the flight? That is purely subjective. What do you consider "bad"? "Hoping to get some sleep". Many people do get some sleep. If you are able to sleep on a plane, then you'll get some sleep. My wife does, I don't. As far as checking your bags early; that won't happen The check in does not open early. There is no one there until about 2 hours prior to departure. You will hang out at the hotel until around 10:00pm (I hope you have late check out and arranged transport back to the airport?) at which time you'll be taken to the airport.

Why don't you let us know what you decided about staying maybe for two weeks? Still staying on Muri? Do you want to share your plans? Chuck.

Canada/Australia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight to/from LAX

My routine for the last day is to rent a car (we ride scooters the rest of the time) do a 6pm late checkout, head to Tamarind House for dinner at 7pm and enjoy our last meal on the island. Then head to the airport and drop the car off there.

The flight is fine, I don't sleep but my husband is snoring before we take off from LAX and the same coming home. We did the "bid on an upgrade" with Air New Zealand and lucked out on the way down but not so lucky on the way home. We paid extra for an exit row and we had less legroom then a regular seat. Won't make that mistake again.

The flight is so worth the end result. A perfect South pacific vacation.

Can't wait until March 30th.

Edited: 5:22 pm, February 05, 2014
Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight to/from LAX

My advice is get some sleeping tablets and one of those neck things and then you will sleep! Without either it can well be the flight from hell!

Regards

Suzi

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
63 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight to/from LAX

Yeah I assume it will be terrible. I just really want to talk about my vacation! We are only going to be in Rarotonga for 1 week unfortunately and will be staying at Manuia Beach Resort. We found the package at Costco or else I never would have thought of the Cook Islands. It is 3 degrees here this morning. I just have to make it another 10 days!

Canada/Australia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight to/from LAX

Workingmachine,

It really isn't that bad. As an Australian living in Canada for the past 30+ years I have done many a long haul flight. It's the trying to get a good connection to LAX that is the problem, makes for a very long day, even before you board the plane.

I have three feet of snow in my yard so I know how you feel.

Manuia Beach Resort is a lovely property.

Make sure you go to The Moorings for lunch.

Enjoy!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
63 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight to/from LAX

Donna- I think that is my biggest concern. By the time we board the LAX flight it will already be 1:30 am my time and that will make for a long day of travelling. This will be my longest flight, but I know it will be worth it. I started my packing list today :) Thanks for the lunch recommendation!

newcastle upon tyne
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight to/from LAX

Have done this flight . 4 times after travelling from uk. every time the plane has been nowhere near full so stretched out on centre seats and slept most of the journey

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
63 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight to/from LAX

That is good to hear mickvard. I am hoping that will be the case on our flight.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight to/from LAX

Working: Just so there is no doubt; the flight from LAX to RAR is a L O N G, 10 hour flight. We have done it 11 times since 1996 and except for the first couple of trips, the plane has been full. The only good part is the anticipation of what will be. Now, the trip home without the anticipation? Not so good.

Something to consider; if you have several hours layover at LAX, you could get a pass for the Koru Lounge for $60.00. It is a really nice diversion. Very comfortable seats, two showers, a very well stocked buffet, self serve drinks including premium liquor. It kinda get you in "the mood". Take care. Chuck

https://www.google.com/search?q=air+new+zealand+lounge+lax&tbm=isch&imgil=4OMhRZN5kl_BgM%253A%253Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fencrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com%252Fimages%253Fq%253Dtbn%253AANd9GcQHXUEdivZW4XoO3tWP_P9oamPDN_2BWCAuLqkC4xSmEoHHB5Ym%253B980%253B300%253BMhZYz-Cas6c45M%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.airnewzealand.com%25252Finternational-lounges-la-international-lounge&source=iu&usg=__z6EMVsaAxpWmppd9ud32EqWBMJI%3D&sa=X&ei=Rlf0Us_VHpDnoAS9soHoBg&sqi=2&ved=0CEMQ9QEwAQ&biw=1024&bih=595#facrc=_&imgrc=4OMhRZN5kl_BgM%253A%3BMhZYz-Cas6c45M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fstatic.airnewzealand.com%252Fassets%252FImages-AirNewZealand%252Fla-lounge-980x300.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.airnewzealand.com%252Finternational-lounges-la-international-lounge%3B980%3B300

wow, that's quite a link. You could just google: air new zealand lounge lax

Edited: 10:48 pm, February 06, 2014
nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flight to/from LAX

LOL, Chuck that is one helluva link! Don't think I've ever seen a longer one.

Try this one

airnewzealand.co.nz/international-lounges-la…