We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I split my time between Raro and Aitutaki?

sydney
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Topic
Should I split my time between Raro and Aitutaki?

Appreciate your help ...

We're booked to stay in Cook Islands for 8 days ... Torn between spending the entire time on either of the Islands or split. If split where would you recommend spending most time?

Also are you able to give me the best swimming beaches on both Islands?

Thanks heaps ...

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
13,923 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Should I split my time between Raro and Aitutaki?

The Air Raro day-trip to Aitutaki represents good value for money - (flights, short safari tour, and a lagoon cruise). Because the flights and cruise are provided by Air Raro anyway. The vaka-trip is a nice, leisurely cruise on a bigger vessel. But for those wanting to visit more islets, and covering a bigger lagoon area, the day-trip is restricted. Also different lagoon cruises have their personal favourite areas to visit and impart local information; which adds to the appeal of Aitutaki too.

For an overnight stay, the travel agencies on Rarotonga all offer a package deal which represent good value for money as the accommodation rate is pre-negotiated, and the fares are usually discounted. I've had some very good deals over the years buying a package-deal to Aitutaki, which includes transfers on Rarotonga as well as Aitutaki. Simpler too than purchasing on a piece-meal arrangement and waiting on confirmation for accommodation.

So far as an international ticket goes, with Aitutaki as the final destination, this approach also represents good value for money. It avoids having to pay for a separate domestic airfare. The luggage allowance is more generous on an international ticket as opposed to a domestic fare.

Kia manuia.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
802 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Should I split my time between Raro and Aitutaki?

I am another one who would stay on Rarotonga and just do a day flight to Aitutaki to do a lagoon cruise.

We also love good swimming beaches and were very disappointed with Aitutaki Beaches as they're so tidal. We wished we had been advised to spend more time in Rarotonga and just fly into Aitutaki for a day cruise to One Foot Island where you can have a decent swim.

NZ
Level Contributor
59 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Should I split my time between Raro and Aitutaki?

Another vote for Rarotonga for the swimming as Aitutaki's lagoon, although beautiful, was not as good for swimming and that is a priority for us. Also, more to do in Rarotonga.

14. Re: Should I split my time between Raro and Aitutaki?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 31, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Rarotonga