We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heading to Raro 10th Jan.....

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Christchurch NZ
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Heading to Raro 10th Jan.....

Hi

We are heading to Raro next week for the first time & staying at Palm Grove.....very excited!!! We are a family of four - myself, hubby, 2 teenage kids 13 & 16 & my sister & her hubby are joining us too. We are thinking of doing a fishing charter - any recommendations?

My son also races outrigger canoes (Waka Ama) & would like to have a go over there, where would the best place be to experience this?

Cheers :)

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,115 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heading to Raro 10th Jan.....

Hi Debz,

Glad to hear it's not long now until your planned visit takes place. Palm Grove is a very good choice for accommodation with a pretty beach to enjoy.

There are quite a few fishing charters operating out of Avatiu harbour. Junior on Marlin Queen has successful strikes, you may want to consider his vessel. Alternatively go to Avana harbour and speak to Moko if he's ashore, or his wife Jill at the Moorings Café about fishing trips.

There are a number of vaka ama clubs on Raro, based in Avarua harbour, Muri and Nikao. I'm sure your host/owner at Palm Grove, Betsy, can point you in the right direction for some paddling experience. Otherwise go to Island Craft and ask to speak to Fletcher. Or Victoria at the artisan breads and croissants stall at Punanga Nui on Saturdays.

Another activity your family may be interested in is the ocean-voyaging vessel Te Marumaru Atua which has been running day sails from Avarua harbour this year. The staff at Trader Jacks will know how to contact the crew on this vaka.

You are going to love your family holiday on Raro during January! Everyone is so relaxed, and likely out enjoying the beach during the holiday season. The weather and lagoon water are warm, inviting an outdoorsy experience.

Kia manuia.

Christchurch NZ
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heading to Raro 10th Jan.....

Thanks so much Frangipani for the useful info :)

My sister & her hubby are over from the UK & have always fancied visiting a tropical island and where better than Raro! We are so looking forward to it - hope the weathers kind to us as we know we are visiting in the rainy season! :)

3. Re: Heading to Raro 10th Jan.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 01, 2015