We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is the best area to stay for dining options?

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where is the best area to stay for dining options?

We like little restaurants or cafés . What area is best ?

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
12,907 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is the best area to stay for dining options?

Hi Sharon,welcome to the forum.

The two dominant areas for licenced restaurants and cafes are Muri in the east, and Arorangi in the west. Muri village has a good range of restaurants and cafes within its smaller locality. Whereas Arorangi being a district, has its dining spots spread out over a larger area; including numerous resorts.

If you have your own transport on hand, you likely wont notice the distances as such to go from place to place. I've met people staying in one part of Raro, but who have consistently visited a favourite café each day further away from the vicinity of where they were staying. It's very easy to get around the island to try out different restaurants, island nights and daytime cafes.

All the best deciding where best to stay. Kia manuia.

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is the best area to stay for dining options?

Thanks for the advice , know any good ones in particular ?

Arorangi
Level Contributor
556 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is the best area to stay for dining options?

I'm a fan of the Arorangi area because I live there.

Big fan of Kikau Hut because the know the owners. Another favourite is Albertos because I know the owners. And the Tumunu because i know the owners. And The Waterline because I know the owners. And Aroa Beach Side Bungalows because I know the owners.

I guess I could be accused of promoting certain establishments because we know the owners - but such is life in the Cooks.

RBB

Edited: 4:30 pm, November 10, 2013
Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is the best area to stay for dining options?

We really also like Alberto's, Kikau Hut, and Tumunu, although we don't know the owners. We used to really like Raro Big Boy (i't now gone). Another really nice place in Arorangi (I can't remember the name) is across from Alberto's and south a wee bit. It's a takeaway, with fantastic burgers! Chuck.

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is the best area to stay for dining options?

Is the Sunset Resort far fom these places or good snockelling ? Can you walk ?

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where is the best area to stay for dining options?

Sharon: The Sunset is within walking to all those places. The "snockelling" is also very good in the lagoon in front, and masks and "snockels" are provided along with reef shoes. Are you staying at The Sunset? If you have any specific questions, please ask. Also, make sure and read the TA reviews. Chuck.

ps: not making fun of your spelling. I'm just glad I'm not the only one who was spelling problems.

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Where is the best area to stay for dining options?

Oh I do apologise ( hope that's spelt right ) Still deciding .. What to be beachfront but with pool and restaurants nearby . Was just concerned the Sunset was to far away from snorkeling .

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Where is the best area to stay for dining options?

Either that or the sunhaven ?? We want to do some deep sea fishing one day also

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where is the best area to stay for dining options?

Take a look at the website: thesunsetresort.com. It's a great place; two pools, two bars, an onsite restaurant. Also take a look at the TA reviews. Chuck.

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Where is the best area to stay for dining options?

I have it looks great just worried about location . Do. You recommend it over the sunhaven