We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Raro in November

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Raro in November

Hello all!

My boyfriend and I are travelling to Rarotonga in November for 7 nights (ex Auckland, with the travelling would be 5 full days).

What kind of activities does everybody recommend? I've looked through this website and through the forums but would like to see what everyone else has to say.

My partner is not very good at lying in the sun all day everyday so we will probably only want to spend a couple of lazy days. So far we have plans to hire a scooter to travel round the island, do some kayaking and snorkeling, and of course check out some markets and dinner places.

Is there stuff to do inland, like some not too intensive walks? What kind of (affordable) activities are must do ones?

Is Sunday the kind of day where everything is closed?

Thanks in advance for all your advice!

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,105 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Raro in November

Hi

There are plenty of inland walks which are not too strenuous. Suggest you order the Jasons Map online and also the Guide to the Cook Islands. The walks are marked on the map.

It is also nice to walk along the inland road which is again marked on the map.

I can't really imagine that your boyfriend will get bored with just 5 full days on Raro.

Edited: 1:24 am, June 02, 2013
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
15,659 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Raro in November

Kia Orana TravellingS0mewhere,

Other options for island activities include doing the Safari tour which will take you into the hinterland, where you get to reach out of the way places on private land. Besides these tours are lots of fun and a good way to meet fellow travellers.

On Muri beachfront, the Treddlecats are available for hire alongside Muri Beach-Club Hotel and are very affordable. Another option for getting onto the lagoon, apart from kayaking.

A stroll along the waterfront in town, as well as venturing inland around the Cultural Centre, the Avarua CICC church, the Peace Garden, library and museums, and the Theological College grounds to view/visit the historical Mission House is a useful overview on early settlement history sitting alongside modern day life on Rarotonga.

Strolling along a sandy beach at low tide is another option for a short adventure. You can always stop at a resort restaurant located on the beachfront for coffee or cool drink .

Both Takuvaine valley (behind Avarua), and Avatiu valley (behind Avatiu harbour - main wharf) make for interesting off-the-beaten-track places. Heading towards Avatiu valley, take a short detour to view the wood carvings of Mike Tavioni, and visit the Whale Museum alongside the carving studio. Avatiu Valley leads towards the cross-island walk, via the Needle. This hike requires fitness, sturdy footwear and a little planning however.

The Takitumu Conserv ation Area located in Titikaveka, near Turoa is an easy walk. Small entry fee and you encounter the small Flycatcher bird native to Rarotonga.

For a night out, the Staircase bar and restaurant offers a most affordable dinner and cultural show. But you can attend the performance only for a small cover-charge. Bar prices there are reasonable too.

As you'll be in town about the time for the annual Vaka Eiva festival, the Polynesian vaka will more than likely offer day-trips beyond the reef. Depending on prices at the time, you may be interested in getting onto the ocean to view Rarotonga's rugged scenery from offshore.

As far as Sundays go, this day is considerably quieter compared to the rest of the week. Apart from the main trading stores, government departments and banks all being closed, activities occur onsite at tourism properties/resorts and at private homes round the island. Church services are held in the mornings and again around dusk on Sundays. Sports matches tend not to be held on Sundays. One option for a Sunday activity is the local cinema located in Avarua, which shows recent movie releases including on Sunday evenings. Very reasonable entry fee compared to NZ.

All the best for your visit - kia manuia.

Edited: 7:01 pm, June 03, 2013
Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Raro in November

Thanks for that advice.

I'm really looking forward to this trip, we keep planning things and look for deals but it's still so far away.

One more question - what is the etiquette with topless sunbathing? I'm not usually one for it, but when in Rome... Is it normal or not very acceptable?

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,105 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Raro in November

Hi

It's definitely NOT acceptable. I kid you not.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
889 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Raro in November

Nzlilibet is correct, topless sunbathing is definitely not acceptable. Even wearing a bathing suit in town is frowned upon. This is a very conservative culture. In Church your shoulders should be covered and your skirt should not be too short or your top too low cut. Appreciate you checking out the culture before you come on a holiday.

Edited: 1:36 pm, June 25, 2013
6. Re: Raro in November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, June 27, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Rarotonga