We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beach location

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Barbara, CA
Level Contributor
97 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best beach location

Hello-

We are trying to put trip together for the end of May.

6 nights in Rarotonga and 6 nights in Aitutaki @ Etu Moana

Where should we stay in Rarotonga? Aaroangi, Titikaveka, or Aroa?

We like small properties with privacy.

We want to be on a beach that has good snorkeling and close to restaurants.

We would prefer breakfast and a bar if possible.

Thanks!

Robbie

Santa Barbara

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
877 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best beach location

I have two favorites, Aroa and Papaaroa. Aroa is in the South West and Papaaroa is more directly South. Aroa area has a mix of swimming and snorkeling areas, great sunsets, several restaurants in close proximity. Papaaroa, is a quieter area with beautiful beaches but not many restaurants and you can't really see the sunsets.

I would suggest staying in the Aroa area and alternate your days at the Aroa area and the Papaaroa area, with the odd jaunt down to Titikaveka for some spectacular snorkeling. For accommodation ideas in Aroa, there is Aroa Beachside Inn, Lagoon Breeze Villas or the Rarotongan Sanctuary. There are other smaller private houses as well, for those, check out the Holiday Homes site or the www.ck website also has some private homes listed.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best beach location

Great suggestions from MsV.

Mine would be Palm Grove in a beach bungalow.

Santa Barbara, CA
Level Contributor
97 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best beach location

Thanks- I checked out the Palm Grove. The location looks fantastic.

It's less $ than the other place we had considered- Manuia Beach

but I am wondering if it's in need of some TLC as some have posted?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best beach location

Take a look at Sea Change Villas as well.

Novato, California
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best beach location

We loved Heliconia in Titikaveka - they have one gorgeous villa and a two-bedroom bungalow (we stayed in bungalow) You'll have pretty much a "private" beach with good snorkelling, and the Maire Nui gardens/restaurant are across the street.

Santa Barbara, CA
Level Contributor
97 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best beach location

Thanks, I will check it out.

I kind of want a place that serves coffee and breakfast.

Are there other restaurants fairly close by?

I love to cook but really enjoy going out when I'm on vacation.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,469 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best beach location

Hi

Maybe a bit bigger than you're looking for, but Moana Sands Resort is on that same stretch of Tikioki/Titikaveka beach. A nice little resort, with restaurant and bar.

It's also walking distance to the Little Polynesian Resort which has a beautifully sited café/restaurant. A lovely boutique resort but top-end in price but they sometimes offer deals if you ask, I think.

When the café is open, Maire Nui Gardens does open for breakfast on weekdays but only after 9 (or later?) which is a bit late for many people. Also lunch and occasionally dinner but no bar.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best beach location

I can vouch for Sea Change Villas - filled with TLC, extremely private, excellent snorkelling out front. You can have their sunset BBQ where a private chef will cook for you in your villa :) They can also arrange free transfers to and from 2 nearby restaurants, Vaima restaurant and The Sands restaurant (located at Moana Sands hotel) so you can have a few drinks and not worry about driving home. They don't serve breakfast but Saltwater Cafe is just next door and open 5 days a week and serves excellent coffee and breakfast all reasonably priced.

Most of the smaller places on Raro don't have bars. Then again 'larger' places like Moana Sands really aren't that big and would be considered very small when compared with the Carribbean or many places in Asia.

But really any of the above suggestions are good. There is probably more in the way of restaurants and bars around Aroa/Arorangi but more secluded beaches with better snorkelling around Titikaveka and Vaimaanga. My choice would be the south, but I think you really need to work out what is more important to you and read the reviews closely and make your own decision.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
11,924 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best beach location

If you are still considering Heliconia, the cafe at Little Polynesia is practically next door, and opens from breakfast through to dinner; including coffee and lunch. Alternatively, Moana Sands with its licenced restaurant is barely a 5 minutes stroll from Heliconia.

Santa Barbara, CA
Level Contributor
97 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best beach location

Thanks everyone,

After reading other threads, we have decided to stay on the west side of the island-6 nights- Manuia Beach for the sunsets and less wind w/restaurant & adult beverages!! but will definitely explore the south beaches/restaurants on day trips!

And then 6 nights at Etu Moana on Aitutaki .

We've got our flights and are all set!

Thanks again!

Robbie

Santa Barbara

Get answers to your questions about Rarotonga