We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Beaches

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Salem, Ma.
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Public Beaches

are the beaches in Rarotonga all public? If so what is the best beach, for a View , for snorkeling and for sunset

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
878 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Beaches

All beaches are public from the high tide mark.

Best view - Muri Beach

Best snorkeling - Titikaveka just in front of the Fruits of Rarotonga

Best Sunset - Aroa Beach

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Beaches

MsV - Spot On!

Rarotonga
Level Contributor
276 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Beaches

Kia Orana mymymoney,

MsV is nearly correct. The beaches are public from the Mean High Water mark down to the water. The MHW is half way between the highest high and the lowest high tide. There is no automatic right of access to get to the beach, so you can't just walk through someone's property, but there are areas such are Black Rock, Fruits of Rarotonga and Muri Beach where there is direct access from the road or a signed access. I have never heard of anyone having a problem walking along the beach anywhere on the island, but I do know that one resort in particular (the Rarotongan Beach Resort & Spa) has been known to charge people caught sunbathing on their beach.

For snorkeling the best areas are Fruits of Rarotonga or Aroa Beach. These are marked on the maps you can get at the airport. Or there are details here: http://www.diverarotonga.com/snorkelling

Best view in my opinion is at Muri Beach - although snorkeling is not great.

As for the sunset, my favourite place would be at the Waterline Bar (West side).

Pakou

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Beaches

Pakou,

When we were on Raro in September last year, there was talk of the erection of signage making it clearer for tourists to know where the public access to beaches was, without having to encroach on private property.

I know in the past when we've stayed in a property with a large area surrounding the house we've had people picnicing on "our" land, using our loungers etc.

Have you any idea if the plan for this signage has been implemented?

Rarotonga
Level Contributor
276 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Public Beaches

Kia Orana Fernsie,

That's interesting, I haven't heard of anything. The only signs that say 'Beach access' are at Muri. There is one at Sails and one at the driveway to Vara's. They were put up by Capt Tama's and Koka Lagoon. The only other access to Muri beach that I can think of is down the drive past Muri Beach Club hotel.

South of the island there is access across from the SDA school just East of the Queens Rep house.

In Arorangi (West) there is public access at Black Rock and people rightly or wrongly access the beach at Aroa next to the Kaena Restaurant.

Other than these, I don't know of any access that is not private.

Pakou

Rarotonga
Level Contributor
276 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Public Beaches

Oops, forgot about Fruits of Rarotonga too!

7. Re: Public Beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 07, 2014