We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting in January 2013

Laurieton, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting in January 2013

After some helpful info ! Spending 9 nights at Manuia Beach Hotel and 4 nights at Tamanu Beach Resort, Aitutaki. My husband and I would like to know how expensive / inexpensive things are in the Cook Islands ? We travel to Fiji every year and I always work on a budget. I like getting more BANG for my buck and don't see the point of paying $300 for a massage in a resort when I can go elsewhere for $100 and know that I'm helping a lady and her family rather than a Corporate Resort. I was after some general information about prices on food / scooter hire / day trips. We are there for a much needed holiday to relax, swim, SNORKEL (we LOVE snorkelling) and just hoon around taking in the sights and saying hello to everyone ! Captain Tama's Lagoon Cruize's looks good ? Any other "great" trips ?

Thanks for reading and Thanks for your reply.

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting in January 2013

Kia Orana Sharon, The snorkeling off the Tamanu Beach resort is very good. Further north off the beach at the Marine Research Center it's even better. The center is also an interesting place to visit and it's free. There are several places to rent scooters on Aitutaki and they are all pretty much the same price $25 - $30NZ a day. Lagoon cruises run around $75 -$85 a day. Restaurants range in price from $15 at takeaways for burgers or fish and chips to restaurants with mains around $25 - $45. Deep Sea fishing will run around $150 - $175. Understand that all prices are subject to change. January is low season so you may be able to find some bargains.

Aitutaki has it's own TripAdvisor forum pages so you might want to check out the activities, restaurants, reviews and reports there.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g309706-i5344-Aitu…

Laurieton, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting in January 2013

Thank you so much for your info. I'm so much more at ease now ! Can't wait for this holiday ... Thank you, thank you, thank you !!

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
57 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting in January 2013

Hi I recommend Teking Cruise in Aitutaki. It was the highlight of our trip. Lots of snorkeling, yummy lunch and amazing hospitality. We were on with others that had done other boat/snorkel cruise in Aitutaki and they said that Teking Cruise was so much better than others they had done as had so many stops for snorkeling. The lagoon is amazing and we cant wait to return there. We are going back to Rarotonga next week and I see you mentioned Captain Tama's and again this is great and would recommend as well. Have a great time !!

Laurieton, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting in January 2013

Just looked up Teking Lagoon Cruises... Sounds GREAT !

Also, travellers cheques are a better option for Cook Islands or will my Travelex Cash Passport Visa be accepted ?

Thank you, thank you, thank you once again !!

Edited: 8:54 pm, December 11, 2012
Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
57 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting in January 2013

I would say visa. We never use travellers cheques when in Rarotonga, either cash or credit card or eftpos. Are you also spending time in Rarotonga or just Atituki?

Laurieton, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting in January 2013

Manuia Beach Hotel near Rarotonga for 9 nights then going over to Tamanu Beach Resort at Aitutaki for 4 nights then sadly flying home.

Visa it is !!!

I love this Tripadvisor forum. So much more relaxing to a novis traveller... LOL

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
57 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting in January 2013

Awesome so you are seeing both islands!! Have an awesome time...this is our 3rd visit next week and we love the place :)

candle lake sask
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting in January 2013

Island bike hire is the best and a price is best established prior to arrival. Fruits of Rarontnga offers the best snorkeling. Walk down to the beach from the parking lot and snorkel off to the right. If you want to try scuba diving I recommend Cook Island Divers. They are a little more expensive but believe me when I say you will get what you pay for.

Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting in January 2013

Hi there,

My hubby and I are going to Raro on 12th Jan for 2 weeks. glad you posted this forum as you asked all the questions I wanted to. :-).

Have a great time, and we should compare notes when we get back! LOL

Janet

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
379 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting in January 2013

Kia Orana fellow Cook Island travellers. This will be our second trip to Rarotonga and our very anticipated first trip to Aitutaki. It will be 10 years since we first visited and we cant wait to go back. As for money, as we are spending 10 out of our 14 days in Aitutaki, we opted for NZ cash as I understand some of the smaller operators wont have the facilities for cards plus you are better able to budget as you know the exchange rate when you purchased the cash and no extra bank fees, Visa is fine in Raro though. Maybe we will bump into some of you while in Aitutaki, wishing you all a great holiday and safe travels.

Get answers to your questions about Rarotonga