We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting in January

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Umina Beach...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
visiting in January

hi we have booked a trip in January staying at Rarotonga Resort and Spa for 14 nights. A friend went there and she said we would be bored after a week. Please help should we shorten our stay or is there enough to do for us to enjoy 2 weeks there?

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
54 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting in January

Hi I think 14 days is not too long at all. I would suggest though to go to Aitutaki for a few nights it is well worth the trip especially as you have got 14 days. There is lots to do in Rarotonga depending on what you are into but just relaxing on the beach and snorkeling, reading a book, right through to organized tours, visting town, markets etc. You will get there any never want to leave !!! :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting in January

We have just returned from 3 weeks & it wasn't long enough!

Brazil
Level Contributor
1 post
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting in January

I stayed on Rarotonga for eight days in January this year and I wish I had stayed longer. So, I don't believe 14 days will be way too many for you. Of course, it depends on what you like doing and who you're going with. You'll be able to enjoy everything at a great pace. If you are looking for a place to relax, sit back and admire the beauty of the Cook Islands, you'll certainly love it.

You can also take a day to go around the island, either by scooter or bicycle; by doing it, you'll be able to stop off at every single lush piece of the island. Make sure you have enough water with you and also quite a lot of sunscreen. I remember we had hot days and I sun burnt my scalp because I didn't have a hat. But overall, you'll have a great time over there.

Have a good trip.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
875 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visiting in January

The answer to your question is rather subjective. It really depends on the type of things that will keep you busy. if you are the type of people that enjoy nature, relaxation, lovely scenery and friendly people, then you will have an awesome time. If you expect Club Med or Disneyland, you're going to be bored. Most of the Islands activities revolve around our amazing lagoon, therefore are water based, snorkeling, swimming, fishing, etc. Land activities are the cross island trek, the markets, island nights and other cultural activities, oh, there is also church on Sunday where you will hear some incredible singing.

I hope this helps you determine if this is the right place for you. It's very much like stepping back in time to a quieter, richer time. I hope you find that you will appreciate it as much as the rest of us do.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
875 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visiting in January

The answer to your question is rather subjective. It really depends on the type of things that will keep you busy. if you are the type of people that enjoy nature, relaxation, lovely scenery and friendly people, then you will have an awesome time. If you expect Club Med or Disneyland, you're going to be bored. Most of the Islands activities revolve around our amazing lagoon, therefore are water based, snorkeling, swimming, fishing, etc. Land activities are the cross island trek, the markets, island nights and other cultural activities, oh, there is also church on Sunday where you will hear some incredible singing.

I hope this helps you determine if this is the right place for you. It's very much like stepping back in time to a quieter, richer time. I hope you find that you will appreciate it as much as the rest of us do.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
16 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visiting in January

As others have alluded to - fourteen days at one resort would probably drive you to distraction, but if you take Rarotonga as a whole, it may not be long enough.

We have just returned from 10 days in Rarotonga and four in Aitutaki - next time it would be 14 in Rarotonga with a day trip maybe to Aitutaki, which includes a boat trip on the Vaka and snorkeling.

We also used the time for getting our PADI licences at Reef to See, just up from the Raro Resort, and one of the, I think, five dive centres around the island.

Buts that's us, you may be, and probably are, different. But my recommendation is to get out and about and not spend all your time at the resort.

Edited: 9:45 pm, November 18, 2012
Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,480 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: visiting in January

The Cook Islands are not like Fiji where you do tend to get locked in a resort. It's more like Vanuatu where I have seen you have been - use the resort as a base and of course relaxation but go out and see all the island.

Regards

Suzi

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: visiting in January

Hi

Some people would be bored after 3 days. Not me - 14 days goes in a flash.

As SuziiW says, you aren't trapped in a resort like so many places in Fiji. As long as you like swimming, snorkelling, beach walks, inland walks, reading, lazing around, watching the lagoon and listening to the surf crashing on the reef, plus eating lots of fresh fish you'll be in heaven.

The bus service is good and it's not expensive to hire a car to get around.

Of course, everyone is different as to what they expect from a holiday.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: visiting in January

As Fernsie said, we were there for 3 weeks in September and I wish we could have stayed longer. Not to mention this was our sixth visit. It all depends what you like to do on your holidays. There are plenty of things to do in Rarotonga but you may enjoy visiting different islands like Aitutaki and Atiu. Us, we enjoy lazing on the sun, snorkelling,reading a good book and eating good food.

Cook Islands are beautiful so are the locals. Enjoy your holiday and let us know how you liked it when you return.

10. Re: visiting in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, November 23, 2013