We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air con or not in October?

New Zealand
8 posts
Save Topic
Air con or not in October?

We will be staying in Rarotonga on the west side for 7 nights from 28th Sept 06. We cannot decide whether to book the bungalow nearer to the beach but only has a fan or the unit with air con that is set back from the beach. We live in a low humidity climate and are worried about sleeping (or not) in the heat.Can anyone advise us please?

Thanks!

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,493 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air con or not in October?

The weather in Rarotonga should be fairly mild during late September...it's the end of their winter. Personally I'd go for the beach bungalow with the fan...there are nice breezes that blow to cool things down at night. I have a fairly high tolerance for humidity though so take that into consideration. This is a decision that only you can make based on your ability to withstand heat...maybe the historical weather site will help..

www.weatherbase.com

sunny regards,

shully

Australia
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Air con or not in October?

We're from Sydney (medium humidity) and have survived inland in the cooks with just fans during December and January. It is not like tropical humidity there at all due to the sea breezes.

I think you'd be fine being beachside as long as you've got fans. You'll have the seabreeze as well.

NOTE: if you need a fan on you in bed and the room doesn't have one you can purchase a stand fan from Avarua for $50NZ.

New Zealand
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Air con or not in October?

Thanks, think we'll take the bungalow on the beach. (can't wait)Makes the winter more tolerable having a week in Rarotonga at the end of it.

Thanks again!