We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the weather been like lately?

California
Level Contributor
373 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
What's the weather been like lately?

Only about a week or so until we leave for the Cooks! I'm so excited!! I did just check the 10 day forecast and it's looking like it's going to be rainy. I'm a little bummed about that but hoping for the best.

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
45 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: What's the weather been like lately?

theweathernetwork.com/fourteenday/…table

Looking at this range forecast you have nothing to worry about!!! We didn't see any sun symbols at all on our forecasts. We only had one day in 8 when we got the sunblock out, but enjoyed our break all the same and will definitley go back.

Rural
Level Contributor
119 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: What's the weather been like lately?

Latest info on the weather from the Cook Islands News, Thursday 7th June:

Current cold snap not the last

The Cook Islands Meteorological Service has recorded a low of 16°C on two mornings this week.

On Saturday and yesterday, the office recorded 16°C – bringing the average temperature for the last two weeks to between 19 and 24°C.

The lowest June temperature on record in the last five years is 15.5°C, which was documented on June 16 in 2009.

The cold is the effect of an area of high pressure that has been hovering over New Zealand and sending cold southerly air as far north as Rarotonga.

The temperature is expected to rise this weekend, but to cool down again next week.

“The high pressure system as it slowly migrates to the east will (lighten) the cool temperature over Rarotonga to bring a mild temperature averaging 20 to 22°C in the late evening and early morning and a warm 23 to 25°C during the day as the winds change from a southerly direction to a more easterly,” the met service’s Maara Vaiimene said yesterday.

He said his office has been receiving floods of calls from people wanting to talk about the cold mornings and evenings, and even some from people wanting to make their own forecasts.

“Something that we should be aware of is that there is a difference between ‘it feels like’ and measured temperature readings based on a standard scale,” he said.

“The cold evenings and mornings are not unusual as we are moving into our cooler months. This is a good time to check on warm clothing, blankets and hot water bottles as at the moment it is difficult to predict what the outlook in terms of temperature is for the approaching winter season.”

Vaiimene says his office is keeping a close eye on a developing high pressure system to the south of Australia, which is expected to move east toward New Zealand.

“If it maintains the easterly movement then Rarotonga will be in for another cool week early next week. In the meantime keep warm and safe and reach out for a favourite book.”

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
45 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: What's the weather been like lately?

To anyone reading this remember that this is quoted from the local newspaper and the locals think it is cold, which it it is to them - while tourists are swimming and wearing shorts and t-shirts (so look at the temp - still in the 20's so no need to pack your thermals and hot water bottles!).

Hokitika
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: What's the weather been like lately?

My husband and I just got back yesterday and we had a lovely holiday. Don't rely too much on the long range weather forecasts as they are constantly changing. I checked them every day for about a week before we left and they changed pretty much every day.

While we were there (6 days) we had a tiny bit of rain, but that was mostly at night and didn't bother us. We had some lovely sunny days although on our last day it got a bit windy and the sea was quite choppy, so too murky for snorkelling but still lovely to swim in.

I hope you get some lovely weather while you're there but if it rains don't worry too much, just look at it as a chance to relax and read some good books :) Enoy your holiday.

California
Level Contributor
373 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: What's the weather been like lately?

Thank you all for your responses! I really appreciate it.

Salzburg, Austria
Level Contributor
159 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: What's the weather been like lately?

End of May/early June was sh***it ;) Heaps of rain, very stormy and the odd hour of sunshine.

We have been told that all of May has been very wet, but hey, its June now, so who knows :)

All I can say is that Raro (and Aitutaki) is a small island so the weather changes very quickly.

You'll have fun either way, but we were very gutted, too, because We of course had hoped for postcard-like weather too ;)

17. Re: What's the weather been like lately?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, June 20, 2013