We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving licence rip off amongst others

Greymouth, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Driving licence rip off amongst others

I know the licences are a novelty item, but for those of us who call there a lot it has become a money making rip off.

Last trip $20 for a years licence - NO $20 for a licence that will expire on your next birthday. CI Tourism you need to talk to some of your politicians and service providers, some of they are just getting into rip off mode and do not care about service. Rental cars are a disgrace, we got a car that leaked like a sieve and got told all the good cars go to returning locals, not good enough, Budget you need to improve, stop the tourists (about 70% from NZ) and see how you go. Stop spoiling a greaty place by chasing the almighty dollar at any cost.

Southwest Desert
Level Contributor
143 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Driving licence rip off amongst others

What is really a $20 governmental fee to rent a car, one flight a week from the US, it is things like this that will keep the CI undeveloped and undiscovered, thank God.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Driving licence rip off amongst others

I have no problem paying the $20 for a license each time I visit, we are returning for a 3rd visit this year and bringing a group of friends and I am sure that the 10 adults that are coming will all get licenses. We generally only hire a car for 1 day each visit and use the bus the rest of the time. However we have no issue with paying $40 for 2 licenses to be used once. I understand your frustration about the rules being inconsistant, but I think that it does add to the Cook Islands charm. If I am reading you right you are more frustrated at the inconsistancy and the poor quality cars, which I would imagine would be hard to dispose of and expensive to replace. We hired a car through Budget and it broke down, they were fantastic in replacing it for a better quality car for no extra cost. My recomendation to you is ditch the car and jump on the bus, it's more fun!

Mentioned in this post
Cook Islands
Cook Islands
South Pacific
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Driving licence rip off amongst others

There is/was(?) a multi year option - so anyone intending a few visits could take that. I did and still got a couple of years left. Big saving is that you don't spend the first morning at the cops. Other than that, what's wrong in an extra couple of bucks to the government to fix the roads? Or are you also going to complain about the airport tax when you leave? As a percentage of your fare to get to the Cooks its the square root of very little so get over it.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,246 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Driving licence rip off amongst others

The departure tax is now included in the airfare as is the case with so many places. So no hassles when you leave.

And yes, you can still get a 2 year or a 5 year licence.

Edited: 2:07 pm, January 13, 2013
nz
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,246 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Driving licence rip off amongst others

Travelingmacs

Budget are no more. It's now called Polynesian Rentals I think.

Many of us on this forum find Island Cars to be very good and well priced.

Feilding, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Driving licence rip off amongst others

Do they even check if you get a license or not?

nz
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,246 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Driving licence rip off amongst others

The hire companies do and without a licence your insurance will be void. You will need a valid CI licence to hire a car. Otherwise they will issue you (at small cost) a temporary one which will last 24 hours until you manage to get to the police station. So you are in the system and are known by the authorities.

In addition, the police regularly carry out checks on cars - anyplace - anywhere.

Frankly, it would be very stupid to even contemplate trying to circumvent the system.

Oh and they have speed cameras and breathalysers.

28. Re: Driving licence rip off amongst others

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 17, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Rarotonga
Recent Conversations