We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can we make fires on the beach?

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
264 reviews
Save Topic
Can we make fires on the beach?

To BBQ on and to sit round playing the guitar (if I had one or could even play)... is it permitted. I would clean up afterwards of course.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
14,203 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can we make fires on the beach?

Above high tide mark, which is part of private property is acceptable. Below this boundary is Crown & customary-lands combined.

I am sure that your accommodator will have provided their guests with a BBQ and entertainment area to help manage the island's ecological sustainability.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can we make fires on the beach?

Yeah there is a BBQ however if we could collect scrap wood and make a small fire and cook up on that would be pretty cool.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can we make fires on the beach?

if u do, make sure u clean up AND put the fire out! With water!

we live in a beach tourism area and many tourists build fires for their night time activities.

and many just kick sand over the burning embers thinking that will do.

i have seen some pretty horrific feet burns, mostly kids, who have walked over the hidden residue next morning on their way to the water for a swim.

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can we make fires on the beach?

dysonsphere we did exactly that - not to cook food on but we had an amazing bonfire one night. Collected a pile of driftwood, took some chairs down, snacks plus some vino – it was fantastic. Of course our new doggie friends joined us. We were on a quiet beach - renting a house and nobody bothered us. It is a common CI custom to burn rubbish in their yards - so we just took it one step further. Didn’t worry about the high tide thing! We found the locals we met on the beach – like the guy walking his pig just so friendly. As others have said though – just make sure it is out.

Regards

Suzi

Edited: 3:58 am, February 23, 2012
santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,494 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can we make fires on the beach?

Hi there,

Although a bonfire on the beach at night can be most inviting, it may be wise to consider the environmental impact of the remains of such a fire washing into the lagoon at some juncture. Just my thoughts :)

sunny regards,

shully

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,203 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can we make fires on the beach?

It isn't a good idea to build a bonfire on a beach-front without due consideration given to local customs and conditions. The risks associated with burning the habitat for creatures inhabiting the land-lagoon interface stand to impact upon the future integrity of the marine environment.

The locality under consideration is associated with an important marine reserve SuziW.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can we make fires on the beach?

Now that I have been there I have to say I recommend people do make fires on the beach. The locals seem very cool with burning rubbish etc and there are no real issues. Just makes sure it is extinguished properly afterwards and clear up. We had a fabulous BBQ with some locals when we were there and they were very friendly.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,203 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can we make fires on the beach?

My recommendation is to be eco-tourists, not eco-warriors!! Especially when visiting a small tropical nation that is highly vulnerable to ecological damage.

There is a difference in our culture to burning rubbish on private land, and having people come along believing that it is OK to utilise Crown Land to create a problem for the locals. Respect and awareness support eco-tourism.

9. Re: Can we make fires on the beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 18, 2013