We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire

Australia
Level Contributor
185 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire

Am leaving in a week for 5 days Raro and 5 Aitutaki. Thinking of hiring a car on Raro for a few days. Is any one hire place better than another and can we drive on our Australian licenses Thanks Sue

Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire

Not sure that one place is better than another.

No, technically you DO need a Cook Islands drivers license.

It makes a nice souvenir anyway.

Ken

San Diego...
Level Contributor
660 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire

Someone actually brought us back a Cooks travel brochure on their way back from NZ.

Here are some rental links:

www.islandcarhire.co.ck

www.rarotongarentals.co.ck

www.avis.co.ck

www.budget.co.ck

Have no idea how good or reputable these places are, maybe some of the locals and frequent travelers can chime in.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,020 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire

On our many trips to Raro we have always used Budget and found them reliable and competitively priced. Raro, who lives in Rarotonga and contributes to Lonely Planet, also recommends them.

As Lord Balfor says, you will need a CI licence.

But don't forget the buses, they are frequent and a good way to travel. We tend to hire a car for a few days (good for stocking the fridge etc) then use the bus and so on.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire

I just wanted to highlite the BUS. Outstanding way to meet the folks and get around. If you will be on the island for a week or more, the bus has a 20 ride pass (I believe it is 20 rides) for a discount over individual rides. While there are specified stops, we have found that just flagging down the bus anywhere works, and the driver will also let you off just about anywhere. Have fun. Chuck

Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire

Dan -

You are quite right. The bus service on Raro is very good - reliable, comfortable and quite convenient (and a good way to meet locals).

Very good point.

Ken

Canada/Australia
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire

I have never caught the bus on Rarotonga. I think I will have to put it on my "things to do list". I know I will have to go alone as my husband will not step foot on a bus. He's a scooter guy.

Australia
Level Contributor
185 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire

Thank you everyone. Yes, my plan had been to hire a car for a couple of days and bus the rest, so you have confirmed it for me. Only 1 week to go!! Sue

Auckland
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire

The cheapest car we hired in Raro was a mazda mr2 convertible from budget. no air con or radio but with the top down who cares.

Get answers to your questions about Rarotonga