We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon help!!!

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon help!!!

I'm planning my honeymoon for end of April 06 with budget constraints, and it's getting stressful! I was thinking of Rarotonga Beach Bungalows or Muri Beachomber on Rarotonga; Has anyone stayed at these?

Or otherwise the island of Moorea (Tahiti) the Intercontinental Beachcomber garden room. So Cook Islands or Tahiti?

Any advise would be so appreciated:)

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,498 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon help!!!

I've stayed at both the Raro Beach Bungalows and the Muri Beachcomber....the Raro Beach Bungalows is much much much nicer...a small property on a beautiful beach with great bungalows, full kitchens, nicely decorated, continental breakfast daily...the Muri Beachcomber is an older property...they have some small duplexes on the beachfront that are pretty basic inside...they have some other accomodations set back from the beach that are nicer but no view. It is in the middle of Muri beach right next to the shops/restaurants and is a busy property...

I'd take the Raro Beach Bungalows hands down.

Re: Tahiti...the Intercontinental in Moorea is a large property that attracts families as there is a dolphin quest and turtle refuge on property. The garden rooms are very small hotel ROOMS...you'll get a much better value for your money at the Raro Beach Bungalows accomodation and beach wise...don't get me wrong tahiti is beautiful but to go there and stay in a hotel room on a beautiful island just isn't the same as a beach bungalow in Rarotonga! Even the lagoon view bungalows there are right next to the beach front...lovely!

sunny regards,

shully

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon help!!!

Thanks so much Shully!! That was a real help, and I think I'll try for the beach bungalows. Do you recommend spending some time on Aitutaki? I was thinking of Etu Moana.

Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon help!!!

Yes, Aitutaki's lagoon is a wonder and it's well worth the time and cost to get there.

Not been there (wasn't built yet when I was last in the Cooks), but Etu Moana gets rave reviews.

Ken

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,498 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon help!!!

Hi Apriltrip:

Without a doubt the Etu Moana is a beautiful property and the bungalows are really five star...lots of attention to detail, a fabulous view, fantastic inside and wonderful owners....I stayed there last year and never ever wanted to leave!

sunny regards,

shully

montreal
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon help!!!

Shully what is the food situation like there. Is it safe to eat at the restaurants, can we buy food a stores, if what kind of food. Also what is there to do in the cooks. One more thing, for airfare from lax, who do you suggest. Thanks

Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon help!!!

Dreamin - Yes food is safe in the Cooks. It's not a dirty country. Health and cleanliness standards are generally pretty high. I do generally drink bottled water, but in truth I don't really think it's necessary. Aitutaki often has a bit of a water shortage.

Lots of foods in the grocery stores on Raro. Best selection/prices is either in the Foodland supermarket in Avarua or (better yet) the CITC supermarket between Avarua and the airport. You'll probably see a lot familiar brands of canned/packaged foods. Surprisingly, fresh fruit is hard to find in the stores (and what there is is usually not of very high quality). This really puzzled me as fruit trees are all over the island - until I realized that FRUIT TREES ARE ALL OVER THE ISLAND. The locals don't need to buy fruit, they grow their own (DUH!) - so the stores simply do not carry that much of it. The best way to buy fruit is to get it at the small family-run roadside stands or at the Saturday market. Also bread (baked fresh daily) tends to sell out very early in the day and we found that by mid-afternoon the cupboards were usually bare.

The few tiny grocery stores on Aiutaki carry only a very small selection of food - and at very high prices. Some folks bring food from Rarotonga.

Since the islands are so small, most activities revolve around playing in the water (snorkeling/swimming etc). The Cooks are not a real active, on-the-go kind of place with things happening all the time. they are relatively quiet islands.

Ken

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,498 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon help!!!

Hi Dreamin...Lord has given you great information about Rarotonga so I won't elaborate there...you should visit the official cook island tourism website for information on things to do...there are so many! Snorkeling, hiking, biking, swimming, exploring, shopping, site seeing etc...

Air New Zealand is the only game in town for airfare from LAX. I suggest finding a travel agent that has bulk rates on air NZ or simply go to their website.

sunny regards,

shully

montreal
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon help!!!

Thanks guys. Also on Aitutaki are there restaurants close to etu moana. Are they good, and what type of price range.

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,498 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon help!!!

Samade On The Beach:

A scooter ride away and the most beautiful place to watch the water in the lagoon...affordable food for sure and cheap drinks...you'll never want to leave your table...

Cafe Tupuna: THE finest restaurant in Aitutaki. They will pick you up at Etu Moana. Expensive but worth it I swear!

Crusher Bar: Funky local fun place with good food and drinks. Not far from Etu Moana.

Puffys: Young set...basic beer and stuff.

Blue Nun: Night life here...dancing and DJ sometimes even a rock band. 90% locals there but really fun....not for food...for drinking.

Pacific Resort: Fancy schmancy resort dining...

hope this helps! Don't miss Cafe Tupuna.

sunny regards,

shully

10. Re: Honeymoon help!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:42 pm, March 07, 2006
Get answers to your questions about Rarotonga