We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drivers Licence

Brisbane Australia
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Drivers Licence

I am arriving in Raro Christmas day leaving on 27th to Aitutaki for 3 days and then back to Raro for a couple more.

I was planing to obtain a licence ASAP but being Christmas day and then Boxing day i am not sure if the police station issue licences on public hols.

Any advise would be great.

Staying at RB resort ,is there a car hire facility nearby ?

Thanks

Mark

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drivers Licence

I was told by a police officer that driver's license office is closed on Christmas day. And what is "RB resort"? Chuck...

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drivers Licence

I'd guess you're talking about the Rarotongan Beach Resort, formerly known as The Rarotongan.

If so, there are always lots of rental cars parked outside so think one of the car hire companies has an office there. I'd suggest asking the Resort about this as you'd be best to go with the on-site car hire at this time of year. They should also be able to advise about drivers' licences.

Like Chuck, I'd be pretty sure the licensing office would be closed on public holidays.

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
139 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drivers Licence

If my memory serves me correct, there is either a car hire business across the road or very near along the road. In fact there are car hire businesses dotted all around the island.

Brisbane Australia
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Drivers Licence

Thanks for that guys.

Australia
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Drivers Licence

I believe you should be ok without a license for a day or so across Xmas as they can't possibly expect you to get one if they are not open . They are reasonably laid back but a new police commissioner from NZ has tightened things up somewhat . I had the same question as I arrived in early on Sat am in October. I drove to the station late Sat morning without a license . Island car hire assured me it would be fine even to the Monday morning - as long as you obtained one as soon as practicable.

Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drivers Licence

As RobboAustralia has mentioned, I've found that they are pretty practical regarding obtaining your driver's license in the Cooks. If the license office is not open you will probably not be expected to have your license until it is open. Just get it ASAP afterwards.

Ken

Kiwi in the Cooks
Level Contributor
559 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Drivers Licence

Kia Orana,

There is a new Budget Hire place across the road from the Rarotongan now.

Book ahead as many locals come home for Xmas and you could miss out!!

Tipani

Kiwi in the Cooks
Level Contributor
559 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Drivers Licence

Kia Orana,

Tipani

Kiwi in the Cooks
Level Contributor
559 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Drivers Licence

Kia Orana,

Tipani

Kiwi in the Cooks
Level Contributor
559 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Drivers Licence

Kia Orana,

Apologies re the triple answer above!!!! but my computer is dying.

I have just rung the Police Station.

They will be closed Xmas and Boxing Day.

Carry with you the licence of your country if you hire a car on one of those two days and then the day after Boxing day hot foot in to get your Cook Island Licence.

Tipani

Get answers to your questions about Rarotonga