We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

anyone do the horse trek and the waterfall????

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
rotorua
9 posts
Save Topic
anyone do the horse trek and the waterfall????

hi my hubby and i are heading back to raro in 7 weeks we didnt get to do the horse trek to the waterfall 2 years ago...has anyone done it???and was it good???

cheers

Donna

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
139 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: anyone do the horse trek and the waterfall????

Hi Donna

We didn't do the trek but we saw the waterfall and it wasn't much to be honest. Just slightly above a trickle we were there. We saw a couple of treks though and it looked like fun.

Belgium
Level Contributor
776 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: anyone do the horse trek and the waterfall????

July 2006 we were on Rarotonga. My daughter wanted to do the horse ride to the falls, but the phone number we had was no longer in use. We called the telephone company for the new nember but they said there was no new number. The people we rented the house from tried to locate the horse people, but in vain. The owner worked at the Rarotongan, which is right next to the place where you started out for the horse ride. So he should have been able to find them. But he could not find any contact. It looked, at least at that time, they were out of business.

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
925 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: anyone do the horse trek and the waterfall????

I recall reading one or two trip reports recently saying that they did go horse riding on Raro, so someone must have a business running them.

We would also be interested in horse riding as well.

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
139 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: anyone do the horse trek and the waterfall????

Chinagazer is correct. The horse trekking starts on the northern side of the Rarotongan. When we saw the treks a guy (presumably the guide) rode behind on a scooter.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
442 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: anyone do the horse trek and the waterfall????

We considered it but opted out b/c I had heard teh mosquitoes were just terrible in the interior of the island and at the waterfall. Maybe it woudl have been just fine tho? But we decided we didn't want to do it.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
802 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: anyone do the horse trek and the waterfall????

Actually my husband did the "trek" a couple of months ago. We too couldn't ring through so we walked over to the house to make enquiries and book, since we were staying at A'roa Beach.

My husband and 3 girls in their 20's were the only riders. They had not ridden before but he had. There was no actual "guide", as there weren't enough horses, so a fellow rode his motor bike and directed them , meeting up with them at various points. No helmets.

It was mainly walking, the girls were wearing thongs. The only difficult part was when they returned and had to walk along the beach, around the rocks and in some parts ride through quite rough water(high tide) with the water soaking them. A resident living not far from the Rarotongan Hotel ended up giving them directions.

All in all he quite enjoyed it. Sorry, but there was very little water at the Falls and not particularly "special".

Australia
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: anyone do the horse trek and the waterfall????

We were at the "waterfall" about 2 weeks ago - there was no waterfall only a pool. It has been fairly dry by Raro standards apparently.

8. Re: anyone do the horse trek and the waterfall????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, September 12, 2009