We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couple of the "normal" questions from newbies.:)

Montana
5 posts
Save Topic
Couple of the "normal" questions from newbies.:)

Hello all from Montana... Wow, what a great fourm. You all have helped soo much in our planning for Raro for our honeymoon. Couple quick questions:

1) My wife and I are thinking about going to Raro around Feburary 22,2008. I have read a lot of posts of how hot it is around that time. How is it around that time? Too hot? Tons of rain? I know it all depends on Mother Nature, but any words of wisdom would be great! Or should we wait until March? Or another month?

2) I think we have decided on staying at Heliconia Villa in Titikava. Everything we have heard and seen has been positive. Any other thoughts on Heliconia? And how far is Heliconia from food, nightlife and eating out?

3) (last one..;) I have heard a lot about "Rock Fish" while snorkling, how dangerous are they and how do you avoid them?

Thank you for your patience with the normal "newbie" questions!!

Cheers,

Todd & Kate

Mangawhai, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Couple of the "normal" questions from newbies.:)

Feb is hot and humid it was uncomfortable for me without airconditioning. See weather sites for temperatures. The accepted hurricane season is Dec to March Rarotonga went for many years without being hit but has experienced direct hits . The odds of one while you are there are small but possible. March is a little better weather wise but i would suggest April or May.

Montana
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Couple of the "normal" questions from newbies.:)

Thanks for the info Cookie!

Montana
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Couple of the "normal" questions from newbies.:)

Any other thoughts?

Wellington
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Couple of the "normal" questions from newbies.:)

Hi there

1. Weather there is always going to be hot and very humid so the welcome of rain is always welcoming. From Dec - March is Hurricane season. The odds of one hitting the island directly are small but possible.

2. Everywhere around the island only take you 20mins by scotter and 10mins by Car. So no matter which side of the island your on, you'll still make within 10mins.

3. Always wear swimming shoes no matter what. Stone fishes are dangerous so if you are going reef walking aways wear light sneakers that has a thick sole to it.

4. Clothes to take...While my Fiancee and I were on holiday we took all sorts clothes. Jean pants, dresses, jumpers/jackets and a whole lot more clothes and found out we didnt use half of it while we were there. So I suggest take light clothing.

For the ladies - Lots of shorts(5)/short skirts (5)and T-shirts (7), 2 x light cocktail dress if your going out for dinner, 1dress for church if your going, suggest somthing thats at/below the knees and not too revealing in the chest area. Your Bikini (take several LOL), buy a sarong (Pareu) from the Market (much cheaper). 2 x light cardigan and a windbreaker for those light rain and lots of sun screen. 1 sneaker, 1 sandal, 1 dress shoe.

For men - 5 x Shorts and 7 x T-shirts, 2 x light long pants, 2 x Shirts and an Island shirt (event better buy one from the Markets for NZ$20-$30). 1 light cadigan/jacket and a windbreaker. 1 sneaker, 1 sandal, 1 dress shoe.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
110 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Couple of the "normal" questions from newbies.:)

We went in December two years ago and had beautiful hot weather. Although as others mentioned it was humid and I echo that A/C would have been lovely. We were staying on the western side of the island that year so there wasn't as much of a breeze, which made it hot to sleep at night and had more mozzies around.

We went back in Feb 2007. We had two days of glorious weather. The breeze on Muri Beach was just enough to keep it comfortable and keep the mozzies away. However...day 3 brought the wind. For the next 5 days it was windy, rainy and gray. Too cold to swim, too rainy to hike, too windy to sit on your deck. I've heard that often times it is only like that one side of the island and you can drive to the other to get good weather. However, during our stay the weather was like that everywhere.

I've heard that there are other times of the year when the weather can be a bit more reliable.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
110 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Couple of the "normal" questions from newbies.:)

Just a follow up to my last post. We spoke with other couples during our visit who had returned from Aitutaki and the weather was perfect there while it has been windy in Raro.

I believe there is also a post from a few months back, maybe by Carrienations, about bad weather on Raro but good weather on Aitutaki.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,389 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Couple of the "normal" questions from newbies.:)

'Everywhere around the island only take you 20mins by scotter and 10mins by Car. So no matter which side of the island your on, you'll still make within 10mins.'

Reminds me of our honeymoon over 10 years ago - it was only when we passed a poster for Schindler's List twice that we realised that we were looping the island for a second time. :-)

Beautiful place tnkmontana - we stayed in Roratongan Beach Resort (which appears to have mixed reviews now) - great to wake up to the sound of the ocean!

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,301 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Couple of the "normal" questions from newbies.:)

Kate, the Cook Islands to me have the least reliable weather of the major south pacific destinations. They are the coolest island group since they are furthest south. Late May-September therefore can be surprisingly cool for a tropic destination. I detest extreme heat but in the tropics I want it warm, yet not blistering hot. Fiji, Tahiti, and Samoa are all easily warmer than the Cook's during those months. February is about the worst month to go and I speak from 20 trips of experience and over 400 days total. The sun, when out is blistering and directly overhead. No thanks. If you want the best possible climate the months of April and October are probably the best in that island group. late March can be good, but I would avoid early March. Late March-mid-April would be a good combo as would late April to early May.

Montana
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Couple of the "normal" questions from newbies.:)

Thanks for all the info.... I am now a little scared to book Raro for mid Feburary cause of the heat! Any suggestions?

Sydney
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Couple of the "normal" questions from newbies.:)

tnkmontana........

Personally I have been to Rarotonga 3 times in February and I think it is a great time of the year. It doesnt get that hot........probably around 28 degrees Celsius average...it can be humid....but hey.it is the tropics. However March may be better as February tends to be a little rainy ...especially at night.

Heliconia is my pick for sure........it is a private villa on a beautiful beach and it is so luxurious . We couldnt believe it and we are on our way back next year. The villa is close to a lot of Restaurants ..and dont forget it only takes about 40 minutes to get right around the island so nothing is far away........oh yes the family that owns Heliconia alos owns the Cafe and Botanic Gardens in the property opposite the villa....and it is one of the nicest places to have lunch. I have just realised that they now have a new website www.heliconiahideaway.com.....

Yes it is a Stone fish...........golden rule ....if you are swimming with bare feet just stand on the sandy parts and not the coral heads and you wont go wrong.

Good luck..and have a wonderful holiday

Get answers to your questions about Rarotonga