We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I know....another post about scooters....Are they dangerous?

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
I know....another post about scooters....Are they dangerous?

I would love to hear from people who haven't ridden scooters till they were on holiday for the first time. I know experienced riders would be safe, but I would like to hear from people who had their first experience while on holiday.

Cheers

muddog1
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: I know....another post about scooters....Are they dangerous?

Hello everyone! Well, I've been following this post for some time now, and I do have a question for all who rented a car. Can anyone tell me how much it costs to rent a car or even better a convertible on Raro? thanks.

cheers,

corr

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,669 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: I know....another post about scooters....Are they dangerous?

the prices change ...

and convertibles are more.

so you need to check rates for your planned trip.

You can get a quote through the US office of Avis for Raro, which will be similar to other prices,

The Lonely Planet for the Cook Islands also has pertinent phone #'s and emails for getting quotes (as it costs so much to call).

I think it cost us about $27 NZ a day but that was a year ago. Last year we found the convertible prices had jumped a bunch from our 2003 rental, and as we needed a week, we chose to economize. Besides which, it was raining that week, so little point in the splurge.

rotorua
9 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: I know....another post about scooters....Are they dangerous?

hi my hubby and i went to rarotonga 2 years ago and we each rented a scooter for the week ..we has an absolute ball we reakon they are the only way to see the island as long as you take it easy and try to stay off the edge of the road you will have no probs.

my hubby and i are heading back to raro in 6weeks and we will be on our scooters

you know cars and busses and bikes can all be dangerous if not used with respect

cheers

Donna

Charmhaven...
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: I know....another post about scooters....Are they dangerous?

We were in Raro 6 weeks ago. Rented one scooter and had a ball. We were careful and stuck to the speed limit ( the locals zoom past you - hey thats okay) We rode at night also and had no problems just remembered to take a jacket at night as it was unusually cool. Had a blast and rented a small house called Temus place at Titikaveka, now thats the way to go!

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
958 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: I know....another post about scooters....Are they dangerous?

We hired mopeds in Aitutaki and a car in Raro and I think it was a good choice. I felt comfortable and would do the same again. I dont think I would be so keen to ride scooters in Raro since it is a big bigger and has much more traffic but I loved them in Aitutaki (first time I had been on one).

The only reason we hired a car in Raro was because it rained for two days solid when we arrived and we were getting soaked. We got the last car which happened to be a convertible for the price of a non convertible so when the sun came out two days later we were very happy!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
442 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: I know....another post about scooters....Are they dangerous?

I returned from the Cooks last week ( and I do promise to write a trip review very soon!) and I have to comment on the scooter situation.

First, let me say that I am one of the most cautious people you will ever meet. My husband really wanted a scooter from the beginning and I was terrified, especiallly based on a lot of the comment here. I agreed to *try* it on Aitutaki since it's slower there, and the plan was to get around Raro by bus.

On our first day, we realized bus was not goign to work for us and I relucatnalty agree to try a scooter. We had seen a sign - 3 days for $25 or $50 bucks - dont' remember exactly but it was super cheap. Tipani Scooter Rental in town. And they had brand new scooters that had just arrived 2 weeks before.

Hubby took teh exam and got his license. The first trip from town to our villa on the other side of the island was teriffying for me! We finally arrived and I was so glad to be in one piece and said I am NEVER getting on that thing again.

I had never been on a motorcycle or anythign ever and said I never would. The bike we had was very thin and more like a motorcycle - not on of those wider scooters. I just did not comprehend how we were going to stay balanced.Dh had finger nail marks on his stomach, I was clutching him so tight.

Well, he begged me to try it two or three more times and if I was still just as scared (and He did not think i woudl be), then we'd return it. We ended up with a scooter every day (except our wedding day - we got a BMW) in Raro and every day in Aitutaki. We loved it. It was fine. We never even so much as skidded. I always trusted that DH is a great driver, very cautious and careful. I was just afraid of renegade dogs or potholes and the horror stories I read on the boards here. In Raro, we did not take the scooter at night (that I was not going to do!). Some places had free or $5 transfers. And anyway if we wanted to drink, we wouldnt' have taken a car either.

In Aitutaki, we did ride at night which was fine. Tho one night, there were mud crabs all over the road and that was crazy. Turns out it was a full moon night and they were migrating to the ocean to lay eggs. We were careful not to hit any.

Basically - I'd say go for the scooter if you feel comfortable. Just be careful, don't speed, and enjoy the ride!

27. Re: I know....another post about scooters....Are they dangerous?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 am, September 12, 2009