We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palm Grove Lodges

Canberra, Australia
8 posts
Save Topic
Palm Grove Lodges

Hi all,

I'm heading to Raro in late September for 10 days with my wife and kids {16 and 13}. Would appreciate info on Palm Grove and any activities, including if the day trip to Aitutaki with Air Raro is good value. Also, weather conditions at that time.

Cheers!

Mentioned in this post
Aitutaki
Aitutaki
Southern Cook Islands, Cook Islands
Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palm Grove Lodges

September is early spring in the Cooks and just about their coolest time of the year (highs in the mid-70's normally) so with the tradewinds you may find it a bit cooler than you expect. Still summerlike, but not hot. Personally, for me, mid-70's is a bit cool for swimming (water temps will be about the same temp) = but for some folks it's OK. If you do find it to be a bit too chilly you may want to head either to the north/central part of Muri Beach (which has the offshore motus to protect you from the wind) or over to the west side beaches (the west side of Raro gets less wind). Not a very far drive to get to either.

Palm Grove is on my favorite stretch of beach on Raro, with great snorkeling/swimming (though as I mention, it does get windy there - especially in the afternoon)) and tons of fish (even octopus - though you need to look REALLY close as they are truly masters of disguise).

Aitutaki will be warmer (probably around 80 or so) and has one of the most beautiful lagoons on earth (probably second only to Bora Bora). By all means GO! With 10 days, I'd even split my time up between the 2 islands. I normally recommend a 2 days Raro/1 day Aitutaki split for folks as Raro has more to do (though others will recommend the opposite - so it's really a matter of personal preference). In your case (traveling in the cooler time of the year), I'd actually recommend that you spend half your time on Aitutaki. I'd recommend even a bit more except that Aitutaki is really small and has few organized activities, so the possiblity exists that your kids may get bored there (unless they are happy just swimming & snorkeling). Again, it really depends on how easily your kids get bored.

Activies on Raro include a 4x4 "Safari" to the interior (or if you are fit, you may want to try a "Cross Island" hike with a guide (Pa is the most famous of these). There a semi-submersable (ie a boat with a very deep draft and windows below the surface) that takes you outside the lagoon. There's also lagoon cruises and airplane flights over the island. All in all, there's more things to do on Raro than on Aitutaki.

The Cooks are wonderful and I miss them every single day.

Enjoy your stay.

Ken

Mentioned in this post
Aitutaki
Aitutaki
Southern Cook Islands, Cook Islands
Bora Bora
Bora Bora
Society Islands, French Polynesia
Canberra, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Palm Grove Lodges

Thanks for the info, Ken. Much appreciated.

Canberra, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Palm Grove Lodges

Thanks for the info, Ken. Much appreciated.

Get answers to your questions about Rarotonga
Recent Conversations