We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip in Process.

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Morrinsville
3 posts
Save Topic
Trip in Process.

Kia Orana

I was informed of 12 Students (ages 16 – 18yrs), 2 Teachers, and 2-3 Parent Helpers, that are planning a trip to Rarotonga, between Septembers – October. For a learning trip would be to spend a day or two with the college students in Rarotonga to see how students study or what ever they do at school with a kaikai , Get the full Cultural Entertainment with a kaikai, to a Church Custom and kaikai because I know that the food is not cheap like it is in New Zealand, and in that process that the students and the supervised caregivers on the trip to have FUN. They are not any 1 special but some of the student parents who are paying for the trip are quiet concern to the fact that some of the parents think that Rarotongan’s are still primitive. (I.e. Parents who have not been on a plane) So what better way is to ask a local in Rarotonga.

Itinerary: (example)

Depart Auckland: 9am Saturday 15th September

Arrival Rarotonga: 2.55pm Friday 14th September

Friday 15th September, Arrival Rarotonga at 2.55pm, a Bus, Van, takes group to Accommodation at a reasonable price.

Settled and resting to familiarize to the Accommodation and facilities, with brief meeting to events of the night.

Cultural Entertainment all night with a kaikai. (I.e. Eye opener for bilingual and papa’ a students who have not been on a plane)

Saturday – Shopping Day B.Y.O kaikai

Sunday - Church with a kaikai

Monday – Spend a day at the College with a kaikai

Tuesday- Friday – Site seeing adventures with a kaikai

Saturday – Free day B.Y.O kaikai

Sunday – Church with a kaikai and farewell cultural entertainment with a kaikai to packing up the gears to head home on Monday to New Zealand

Monday – Gears ready and Depart Rarotonga with BIG smiles of an unforgettable trip.

Note: The following list is merely a guide.

Appreciate the feedback and recommendations to above guide on a group trip. (NZ born Rarotongan)

Australia
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip in Process.

During our holiday in Rarotonga in January we met at the Fruits of Rarotonga a group of 20 American Students travelling with an Arts Professor for a cultural trip of Rarotonga, New Zealand and Australia. Additionally there was a larger group of NZ Seventh Day Adventists children on a school trip as well.

The NZ student tour was sports/religous focussed and the American Students was Arts & culture focussed. One group stayed in a group accommodation coordinated through the Rarotongan Hotel. The american group being an arts trip had numerous trips coordinated through Ariki Arts tours for both arts and museum.

I'm unsure from your email what learning/focus your student trip is based on - is it a food trip? (kaikai every night - feel sorry for the family/gropu that will be cooking that every night but at least they'll enjoy all the leftovers :) ). NOTE: Cook Islands study the same NZ School system as in NZ so not sure what comparisons your expecting or anticipating for your students regarding learning.

Your best bet would be to contact the college that you want to share knowledge with - I'd assume the college would be able to assist in supporting what knowledge you're expecting the students to learn on the trip.

Morrinsville
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip in Process.

Thanks Tiare, for your message, it was an example guide to what sort of things that they could do it was not confirmed. If you’re been in Rarotonga before it changed to a tourism island then you would know that at least you get fed. From a basic cup of tea no milk and cabin bread. But a simple meal like corn beef, banana n ta’i was just as good as full pork, minus, poke, donut, chicken, banana, taro, green banana, chop suey; raw fish, octopus, fish, o’ta, add in the paw paw, mango with the coconut drink. (Cousin climbs the tree, bring down the coconut then husk it, drink the juice, and eat the white inside the coconut.)While you stand around the table to wave your hands back n forth to chase the fly’s away decorated with a Frangipani. You don’t have to go the full kaikai but a simple meal which is just as good. If I went with the group I would have taken tins of corn beef, milk powder, tea, coffee, flour, oil, rice, and other ingredients to make simple meals like fry bread, and a corn beef stew, rice and corn beef, cook food to feed every one in a house. Knowing that on the trip to Rarotonga, we had a feed; it fed every one with a simple meal. As for a Learning it was a just an Idea, or they might change and do the full holiday, pay for breakfast lunch and tea, resort or bungalow, with the add extra hire motorbike each, its just a trip to students who want to come over have a experience to see how laid back Rarotongans are. If I was to send my children back to Rarotonga at least my children enjoyed the accommodation done the Church Custom (watch how to make a rito hat, wearing a rito hat, sung a Imene)

Participated in the ceremonial activities, without disrespect,

Shopped to buy Pareau’s

And lay them over the furniture when they arrived home and necklaces over the picture frames in the house. Learn the National anthem

Te Atua mou e

Ko koe rai te pu

O te pa enua e

Akarongo mai

I to matou nei reo

Te kapiki atu nei

Paruru mai

Ia matou nei

Omai te korona mou

Kia ngateitei

Kia vai rai te aroa

O te pa enua e.

They might even meet new friends to relations that they didn't know they stayed in Rarotonga. To what ever time that they had left in Rarotonga, but I do appreciate your input, and thank you for recommendation to the types of tours that are available in Rarotonga. Keep in touch Tiare.

Kiwi in the Cooks
Level Contributor
559 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip in Process.

Kia orana,

I suggest you get in touch with one of the College principals.

Nuketere College has Donna Nahu...NZ principal

Tereora College NZ principal

TitkavekaCollege Ani Piri Local principal

They being willing ,would be able to help with all that you wish to have organised plus it gives you the school connection that you need.

Are we talking about Morrinsville College??

Tipani

Morrinsville
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip in Process.

Kia Orana Tipani,

Yea we are talking about Morrinsville College but it’s still in process. I’m just trying to help the form teacher who is organizing the trip. The organizer had a few contacts via other Colleges in New Zealand and I had my Aunties and Uncles who do more trips 2 Rarotonga than I do. Primo Tipani, for your information and I will pass it on to the form teacher who can email the principal of the Rarotongan Colleges. I will still ask my aunties and see if the relations still live over in Rarotonga. My in-laws went on a group trip and it was ok until the food that they took over was pinched, they were like gutted which was the only thing that spoiled the trip, but they moved on and come back to New Zealand with a tan and memories that they been on a plane.

My aunties use to take me to this place,(4got the location) But his name was PAPA BEN who made Long fresh cream Donuts, which was fresh every day is that tradition still going? PAPA BEN the MAN he made the fresh cream donuts.

You’re the man Tipani, thank you for your reply and keep in touch.

5. Re: Trip in Process.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, August 28, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Rarotonga