We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A time estimate?

St. Charles
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
A time estimate?

If I take a leisely time driving down from Anchorage with my family next Saturday morning with a few milepost stops along the way how much time should I allow to get to Coopers Landing? The minimum hours? I know the mileage but how much time will that drive take for first time tourists?

Thanks Much

Jim

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A time estimate?

Sorry, I can't answer your question as asked. Driving time normally would be slightly under 2.5 hrs, plus whatever time you spend at stops--no way for me to know how long you'll take for those.

Also don't forget that it's a holiday long-weekend, so the roads will be jammed with travellers, both foreign and Alaskan. If you have a special event planned for Cooper Landing, I suggest you leave lots of time to get there. And not solely because of the traffic--what if you happen to spot some wildlife at one of your stops, and you'd like to stay and watch for a while?

Kodiak Island...
Level Contributor
78 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A time estimate?

I drive the road every weekend, up from the Kenai Peninsula on Fri. & back on Mon. It takes me 2 1/2 hours to get to Sterling, which is outside of Cooper Landing, & 3 1/2 hours to get to Kasilof, from Anchorage. I don't drive fast and the traffic has been light due to the high gas prices. Without really stopping, it will take you about 2 hours. However, next Sat. is the day after the 4th of July, & traffic might be heavy. There is often some road work going on, which may be a wait of up to 15 minutes. Since you do not know the road, and it is arguably one of the most scenic highways in America, you might want to budget 3 hours. I'm sorry that I don't know a specific time to get there, as I don't really time it.

3. Re: A time estimate?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, October 04, 2009