We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will New Current Survivor Program Disrupt Charm Of Aitutaki

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Will New Current Survivor Program Disrupt Charm Of Aitutaki

Hi - I've planned a family (7 adults) trip to Aitutaki late November - Is it likely that this new reality program will cause as much disruption as the one that has just finished ? Hope not :(((

Regards Bob

CI News currently carrying this item :

15 September: A new production of the UK reality television gameshow Shipwrecked began filming in Aitutaki on Monday.

Local Aitutaki businessman Mike Henry says they are already employing around 20 locals and contracting services like catering, accommodation, boats, fuel supply, transport and even supplies of Baxter's bottled water.

The Shipwrecked crew will be in Aitutaki until 28 January next year. - Helen Greig

newcastle
Level Contributor
792 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Will New Current Survivor Program Disrupt Charm Of Aitutaki

From a British point of view shipwrecked is very small scale, shown at lunch time on a sunday to a couple of million viewers, I wouldn't imagine that there'll be too many crew!

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,301 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Will New Current Survivor Program Disrupt Charm Of Aitutaki

I think in the long term it just might. As shows like this are filmed at a place like Aitutaki, they become discovered. I guarantee you the vast majority of people here in America don't know the Cook Islands exist, let alone where they are. There are already probably three times the amount of rooms on Aitutaki compared to when I went back in 89. Look at the poster child for loss of charm, Bora Bora. Three hotels and a few pensions amounted to around 300 rooms in 1983. Now with it becoming the bastion of the once in a lifetimer willing to pay 9k or more for one week, it is now swamped with over 1,200 hotel rooms with more coming. One ridiculous new resort is charging 3k per night for just the room. Sadly, everything gets discovered. I thank my lucky stars I went when I did and saw these magnificent places ( mainly Bora Bora) before they became overrun.

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,455 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Will New Current Survivor Program Disrupt Charm Of Aitutaki

Wombatrt;

There are lots of places in Aitutaki to photograph when Shipwrecked is there...no worries...the lagoon is gigantic.

sunny regards,

shully

Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Will New Current Survivor Program Disrupt Charm Of Aitutaki

Wonbatrt -

Yes, there are other places (specifically out on the other motus) that are as beautiful (or nearly so anyway) as One Foot. Akaiami is very beautiful indeed, and though I've not been on the other motus along the east side of the lagoon, they sure looked nice from the boat.

BTW - I doubt that Shipwrecked will close One Foot (they didn't during previous shoots on Aitutaki).

Ken

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Will New Current Survivor Program Disrupt Charm Of Aitutaki

Thanks for all your helo with this guys/girls... Its greatly appreciated. Bob, Im sorry if I have kind of hi-jacked your thread, it was not my intention to do so... SORRY :0-

I guess I need to now book my accomodation. everyone here says Etu Moana is a good place so Ill try them.

Will let you guys / girls know how I got on

Regards

Rod

Australia
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Will New Current Survivor Program Disrupt Charm Of Aitutaki

Hi Bob,

I'll be in Aitutaki next January so understand your concern in accessing the lagoon.

However, I have watched the Shipwrecked program on Discovery. Shipwrecked run by the BBC is a totally different show to Survivor. These guys are actually trying to keep everyone on the island for the length of filming - not vote people off. Because of this there is limited security to the island which is visible when viewing the program. It was not uncommon to view boats in the background of the show or on the islands. The participants are visited regularly by local boat and catch rides into town for supplies or to escape. One participant on the first season escaped via a yacht to New Zealand - now thats a survivor program :).

I'm not at all concerned about this program filming there.

Michigan
Level Contributor
156 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Will New Current Survivor Program Disrupt Charm Of Aitutaki

To be honest, I'm really not that worried about "Survivor" increasing tourism tremendously from the U.S.

I'm sure there will be a slight bump, but I've been watching the series, and honestly, it looks like the setting for just about every other "Survivor." People who watch the series don't see the lovely hotels and friendly locals, just a bunch of scheming people getting eaten up by mosquitoes. Incidentally, I cracked up when they showed a shot of a shark -- heck, I was -glad- they did! Let people think there are sharks in the lagoon ;)

18. Re: Will New Current Survivor Program Disrupt Charm Of Aitutaki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, August 22, 2009