We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kite surfing

new zealand
2 posts
Save Topic
Kite surfing

We are looking to go kite surfing in the south pacific this august

we want to know

which months the trade winds are the most consistent

what influences the trade winds

is aitutaki good for kite surfing or does anyone know a better spot

thanks

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,478 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kite surfing

I would suspect that kite surfing in Aitutaki would be quite dangerous. There are many people I know of who have crashed their small outriggers on the coral heads which are dotted all over the lagoon. There are a few people that use small sailboards out into the lagoon but they know the area really well.

In Rarotonga the area in Muri Beach would be suitable as it is fairly large, soft sand bottom and no big coral heads. Trade winds blow throughout the year in the Cooks.....the harsh weather ie: cyclones are from January - March............see historical weather at:

www.weatherbase.com

sunny regards,

shully

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kite surfing

Kite surfing is very popular with Australians in Fiji. A big group from Melbourne goes yearly to Plantation. Sometimes the winds are perfect for them sometimes not. August is a good month for Tradewinds which blow from the southeast during Aprill- May through October. Winds are year round but during the other months can often be from different directions. Pub

Australia
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kite surfing

Hi - I've just sent a message to "Kitegirl" who posted information about kite surfing in the 6xAdult cook island post. She does respond to that posting so keep looking.

Spain
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Kite surfing

Hi Jimwilly and the rest of people from the community:

My name is Natxo, from Spain. I´m preparing my honeymoon for this summer. Same as you looking for info about kitesurfing at Aitutaki, that seems to be a wonderful place. My wedding will be on 20 of july.

I´ve found that wind blows from 12 to 20 knots almost every day(because of trade winds) but i´m trying to confirm this fact. They say also that the best place is One Foot Island.

It could be good sharing the info so that we can prepare better the trip. Kite sizes, boards... Ah! I also found that there is a 15 kilogrames restriction on baggage to fly there.

There is a webcam at the lagoon:

aitutakilagoonresort.com/WebCam/WebCam.aspx…

My email is natxo_imaz@hotmail.com

Good luck, may be we will kitesurf together there, depends on the budget, you know, from Spain the flight is too expensive.

Thanks to everybody, regards from Spain.

new zealand
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kite surfing

yeah aitutaki,

We went in August and had eight out of ten days kitesurfing. Could have had ten days but it was over 25kts for those two days. There are really only a couple of spots to sail from. The one on the main island is out the front of the lagoon resort. Easterly winds come cross shore and are a little affected by an island upwind. Sailing still good. One foot island is where some people kitesurf. had a look at it from a boat. You need SE or NW winds to sail it and low tide so the bar is exposed. Cost to get out there everyday is about $20 US per person. There is another island to sail.......... It is wicked......... really good in easterly winds. You will have to pay attention and look from the plane window on your way to the island to discover it.

The wind for us was 15-20 kts every day.

If there is a big anticylcone in the south pacific the trades will work. If any Low pressure sneaks up there it cancells the trades and the winds will be more northerly.. Not the best on Aitutaki.

Hope it helps..

Jim

The Ripper

Aotearoa

6. Re: Kite surfing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, August 16, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Aitutaki