We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motorscooter adeptness

Oakland, California
5 posts
Save Topic
Motorscooter adeptness

How hard is it to ride a motorscooter for the first time?

My 34-year-old daughter is going with me to Rarotonga in June. She can ride a bicycle but is not too steady and won't go on hills (ever since she fell when she was 12 or so.) Would she be likely to ride a motorscooter without falling? How easy is it to hurt oneself?

australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Motorscooter adeptness

word of warning. If you are used to riding/driving on the right hand side of the road you may have some trouble as Cook Islands drive/ride on the left side of the road. THe scooters are easy and fun but some experience is handy as there are a lot of dogs on the island and they tend to wander out on the street. Just take it slowly and you should be fine!

NH USA
Level Contributor
412 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Motorscooter adeptness

I had never been on one so my first time I was alittle nervous. We did not rent them on Rarotonga since the bus was so convienent, we did rent them on Aitutaki. Aitutaki is perfect because thei are few cars on the road and it is basically flat. Driving on the left was not that hard, just keep saying - stick to the left. The only problem I had was every now and than when stopping I would squeeze the brake and push the gas - DOH. She should be fine.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
178 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Motorscooter adeptness

Hey bpolt,

I was surprised on how easy it was to ride the scooter. I bike a little bit (like once a year), and had no problems. Just tell your daugther to focus on starting and stopping (that is where most of your accidents occur). Don't drive at night and remember always stay left.

- - - - BB

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,442 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Motorscooter adeptness

She needs to be very careful as dogs like to jump out of driveways and scare people on the main road....also I would recommend she take the local bus which is new, travels all day long and is cheap.

sunny regards,

Shully

Shelby Township...
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Motorscooter adeptness

Is the new bus and the dogs jumping out on Aitutaki? Or just on Rarotonga? Thanks!

Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Motorscooter adeptness

asylum23 -

Shully is talking about Rarotonga. No dogs or bus on Aitutaki.

Ken

Shelby Township...
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Motorscooter adeptness

One more question about the scooters since we might rent them and I've never been on one. Do you not drive them at night b/c they don't have lights on them? Thanks!

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Motorscooter adeptness

They have lights. Also, if you don't have a scooter/motor cycle endorsement on your driver's license, the police will give you a test to see how well you can ride one. I have seen people flunk the test. Chuck

Shelby Township...
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Motorscooter adeptness

Wow! On Aitutaki? Well I've never driven one, but it seems like a better deal than hiring a driver to and from all the restaurants. I wonder if you don't go very fast if you would be stopped.

Canada/Australia
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Motorscooter adeptness

Riding a scooter is very easy, but I have seen lots of people have problems, mostly when they are riding two to a bike. You will mainly see people having trouble starting off when they have someone on the back of their bike. Especially another adult. We have always had our kids on the back with no problems at all. Our boys are now old enough to ride their own.

Night time driving is tough as the island is very dark once you leave the main part of town. We had lots of bugs fly in our face, which you can't see coming.

Donna.