We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visas in the Cook Islands

Coventry, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Visas in the Cook Islands

Hello there. I'm coming out to Aitutaki in 31 days (I'm counting down!) for my medical elective. I just wanted to check whether I'll be ok on a tourist visa and how to extend it to 40 days rather than the 30 given. I've contacted the NZ consulate here in the UK both by phone and email and can't seem to get an answer! I have a feeling it'll be alright but don't want to get caught out.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Aitutaki
Aitutaki
Southern Cook Islands, Cook Islands
Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
2,009 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visas in the Cook Islands

Kia Orana, Imrose, You should have no problem extending your visa once you are on Aitutaki. The immigration office is located in the post office building near the wharf in Arutanga. Just drop in and they can take care of you.

Mentioned in this post
Aitutaki
Aitutaki
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
16,433 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visas in the Cook Islands

Kia Orana Imarose, welcome to the forum.

I dont anticipate much problem in your situation - we especially welcome medical students to support our health services.

If you wish to contact Immigration before you depart - here's the link:-

mfai.gov.ck/index.php/…visitors.html

All the best with your elective - it must be exciting coming towards the end of your training and gaining a placement overseas!

Kia Manuia

Frangipani

Coventry, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visas in the Cook Islands

Thanks for your help!

Cardiff
Level Contributor
71 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visas in the Cook Islands

It will cost around $70 NZD to extend your visa beyond 30 days.

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visas in the Cook Islands

Hi Imarose,

I hope your elective in Aitutaki went well? I'm soon to be arriving in Aitutaki for my 7 week elective, and I'm having similar questions regarding the visa to your original post. How easy was it to obtain the extension? Any advice?

Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
Aitutaki
Aitutaki
Coventry, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Visas in the Cook Islands

It was very straightforward - although be warned to try and extend it plenty in advance if you want a discount for working at the hospital as the fax was out of action for 10 days while i was there. The man is in the office opposite the postoffice next to the bank. Anyone can point you in the right direction. Have a great time and hug everyone at the hospital for me.

Leanne

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Visas in the Cook Islands

Thanks for your help!

8. Re: Visas in the Cook Islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 20, 2013