We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nature or Field Guide Book

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Nature or Field Guide Book

Hi everyone,

I have been looking online for a "field guide" book about Cook Islands nature/natural history, particularly focusing on fish and birds, however have not been able to locate anything other than general guides for the entire Pacific. Can anyone help by recommending some useful titles? Thanks in advance!

Belgium
Level Contributor
776 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nature or Field Guide Book

I can't help with a specific book or title but the Cook Islands Biodiversity & Natural Heritage site has plenty of information, including a very detailed database: http://cookislands.bishopmuseum.org/.

I also printed several publications and reports about the Cook Islands from the Secretariat of the South Pacific Community: http://www.spc.int/. They even have reports on specific islands of the Cook Islands.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
12,907 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nature or Field Guide Book

Regarding fish species - once you each Raro, you can purchase a fish card guide which has been published to allow for water damage. Best place to enquire is at Bounty Bookshop in Avarua. I've seen these also being sold at small gift shops e.g. treasure Chest around Raro (Muri, Edgewater Resort, Rarotongan Resort, and Avarua.

Aitutaki would have more limited access to retail supply.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nature or Field Guide Book

Thanks for the info. I was hoping for a pocket-size guidebook, but such a thing doesn't seem to exist. We'll only be in Rarotonga for just over 2 hours, so not much hope of getting a card guide then. Hopefully we can find something on Aitutaki.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
780 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nature or Field Guide Book

Hi Fawlty25,

I bought my fish card from reception at Etu Moana. Even if you're staying somewhere else they would sell you one if they still stock them.

It's nice to be able to identify some of the fish you will see. Have a lovely trip.

If you take a lagoon trip on Aitutaki Adventures they stop for morning tea on Maina Island where they show you their native sea birds nesting.

Edited: 10:20 pm, August 03, 2011
5. Re: Nature or Field Guide Book

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, October 08, 2012