We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't laugh.... Internet access?! Etu moana / Aitutaki

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
522 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Don't laugh.... Internet access?! Etu moana / Aitutaki

Ok, so we want to figure out how much (or lack of) Internet access we will have on our honeymoon!!! Yeah -- we won't want to do TOO much -- but we will likely have to check in back home and post a couple pictures to make people jealous back home... We are staying at Etu moana... Does anyone know if there's internet access on or near the resort?!?

Thanks in advance!!

Level Contributor
240 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Don't laugh.... Internet access?! Etu moana / Aitutaki

When we were there, you can sign up (pay) for daily access to their network. I was able to use my laptop sitting next to the lobby/front desk. It isn't the fastest, but is definitely okay for checking email and such. We were there in (I think) 2009.

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,547 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Don't laugh.... Internet access?! Etu moana / Aitutaki

Yes don't expect speed on Aitutaki - for anything! Island time is wonderful. There is also an internet cafe up the road but you do wait, wait and then wait some more

Regards

Suzi

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
522 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Don't laugh.... Internet access?! Etu moana / Aitutaki

Thanks! We don't want to use an internet cafe machine as we will have pictures on our ipad or some such... and we won't be doing MUCH emailing and all that.... I do have a VoIP phone that we make calls with (or use skype) so understanding how much and where we can get on with our own devices is what i'm looking to understand..... :-)

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Don't laugh.... Internet access?! Etu moana / Aitutaki

Bagger: As Suzi said: "Island time is wonderful". Really need to pay attention. The basic internet at the cafe is quite adequate. Try leaving your "devices" at home and just get into the islands. Think 5-6 years ago. Yould you have stayed home because you couldn't upload pictures, or call home or whatever? If so, then maybe The Cooks are not for you. Maybe. On the other hand, if you realize that you really can live without instant uploading, sharing, etc, then, welcome, my friend, welcome. Chuck...

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
522 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Don't laugh.... Internet access?! Etu moana / Aitutaki

Maybe you're right........... ;-) Maybe this is the one trip we should leave it all behind...... Hmmm.... I mean I do run a business and i'm the only person that could possibly recover from a server failure... hmmm.... maybe I should just go and whatever happens -- happens. After all, it will be my honeymoon.... :-)

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,547 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Don't laugh.... Internet access?! Etu moana / Aitutaki

BaggerOne I have a strict rule no devices and definitely no email when I am on holiday. Like many I work really, really hard and this is a time to focus on my family. Nothing worse than being in paradise and getting an email or call about work that annoys you to no end and then puts you in a really, really bad mood! Focus on your new other half and I am sure all will be fine while you are away.

Same goes for world news - I watch 3 news shows a night read 3 papers daily - it is great going on holiday and having no idea on what is happening in the outside world - and hey it is still all there when you get back! The Cook Islands is the wonderful destination to do this.

Have a great honeymoon

Regards

Suzi

san diego, ca
Level Contributor
125 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Don't laugh.... Internet access?! Etu moana / Aitutaki

Leave them at home!! There's a couple computers at the airportt in Raro when you are waiting for your hopper flight. Savor the island and take all the pictures you can. Wait until you return to post them!!

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
793 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Don't laugh.... Internet access?! Etu moana / Aitutaki

You definitely are able to access the internet at Etu Moana. I think they must have wireless up at Reception. I am not sure of the charges, if any.

It was a source of amusement to me that so many young males on their honeymoon spent a large amount of time sitting up near reception working on their computers.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
522 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Don't laugh.... Internet access?! Etu moana / Aitutaki

Well, I will definitely try NOT to do that.... how's that? :-)

Lloydminster, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Don't laugh.... Internet access?! Etu moana / Aitutaki

We just got back from a fabulous stay at Etu Moana. We brought some "devices for non work fun" and had internet recption in villa 6. At the time 2 weeks ago $9.00 bought 30 meg, more than enough to upload a picture or 2 and do some internet surfing. :)

PS: They expanded the internet reception to include the villas so people using skype (sp) could do so in private.

Edited: 11:48 pm, April 12, 2011