We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aitutaki...? Grocery? Liquor? Where to get essentials?

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
528 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Aitutaki...? Grocery? Liquor? Where to get essentials?

hello! We just booked our honeymoon Aug 14-27 on Aitutaki..... Etu Moana.... VERY EXCITED!!!!!!! Since the resort doesn't have amenities... and we will probably want to have some snacks... and some wine/champagne in the room as we celebrate........ Help! What do we do?!?!?!?! Are there any grocery/convenience stores within walking distance??!?! Liquor stores??!? Anyone who's been there.. we need some information...! Help!? :-)

Thank you!!!

Dennis & Amanda

tripFeb
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Aitutaki...? Grocery? Liquor? Where to get essentials?

Are you able to buy cake fruit mix and cherries & vanilla essence (for christmas cake making). Thanks

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,155 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Aitutaki...? Grocery? Liquor? Where to get essentials?

Kia Orana tripFeb, welcome to the Cook Islands forum.

You are likely to find vanilla essence in the local stores, but a better suggestion is to endeavour to obtain locally produced vanilla. Several years ago I bought some dried vanilla at the Aitutaki market and it is still an awesome product which I have left stored in my sugar container.

Cake fruit mix and preserved cherries may post a little difficulty locally. If you are stopping in Rarotonga prior to Aitutaki, CITC Supermarket in Panama, Rarotonga and Wigmores Superstore in Vaimaanga carry a range of fruit cake ingredients.

You could try emailing Maina traders on Aitutaki to enquire if they will have some of the products you want instore - mtl@aitutaki.net.ck

All the best - kia manuia.

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
1,726 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Aitutaki...? Grocery? Liquor? Where to get essentials?

I wouldn't count on getting what you're looking for on Aitutaki. The store that would most likely have what you are looking for is Neibaa's on the East side of the island. Lately they have been the best stocked store on the island. I haven't seen any locally produced vanilla for a long time. Vanilla essence however is usually available. To be safe, your best bet is to bring what you absolutely need with you.

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
1,726 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Aitutaki...? Grocery? Liquor? Where to get essentials?

I just looked in the Neibaa store on the west side of the island and they had Pam's fruit cake mix in stock. I didn't see any cherries. Can I assume you are coming around Christmas time since you asked about Christmas cake making. If so, what is in the stores now will not necessarily be what is in the stores then. Many families return during the holidays and there is a lot of baking and feeding of the returning family members so the stores could easily sell out of items fairly quickly.

If you send me a private message closer to your visit - perhaps a couple of weeks before I can check for what ever you may need and let you know if it's available.

15. Re: Aitutaki...? Grocery? Liquor? Where to get essentials?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, June 19, 2013