We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 x Adults to Cooks - 1st time (& kids staying home) LOTSA...

Level Contributor
826 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
6 x Adults to Cooks - 1st time (& kids staying home) LOTSA...

Hi all

I have learned so much from scanning this forum the past week or so and have gained much valuable advice from many; esp LordBalfor (also fab pics on webshots - ta), Shully and Pub etc.

There are 6 of us (3 x married couples)been best mates for nearly 25 years are going to the Cooks in August to celebrate the birthday of the first to hit the big '45' later this year. Kids are staying home with grandparents.

We have 14 days and are coming from Australia (probably via NZ Air). None of us have been to Sth Pacific (2 went to Fiji 20 yrs ago). Hubby and I are the most travelled but our trips have centred on Asia, America (inc Hawaii),Canada and Europe.

Help required on the good AND not so good of all stuff! Pretty broad scope hey :)

To be a little more specific: we are thinking of taking whatever cheap 'lead in' type air/accom deal we can get to land in Raro (eg. 4 nights). We would also like to do a few nights in Atutaki, a couple in Atui and possibly also at Mangaia (depending on air costs). Then last couple of nights at Raro again. Ideas on ideal #'s of nights at each would be great.

We are fun loving, young at heart, early 40's and for this trip just looking for a little serenity and escape from our mad, hectic lives. Raging parties/rowdy nights are not on this trips agenda. We just want to sit back at night and relax with a cold one, play some cards, do some reminiscing. We also like meeting new people too(both fellow travellers and the locals of the place we are visiting).

A holiday where we can trek, bicycle and scooter around exploring nature. Want to swim, snorkel, wade out to motu's, laze in a hammock at days end with a drink or three and soak up the ambience. At least one set of accomms to include soaking up the full moon rising(which I think is around 8 - 12th Aug this year??). Lagoon cruises, wind surfing, walking along white sandy beaches at sunrise or sunset..you get the vibe of the thing.

Regarding Accomm - One couple are campers and used to hiking a lot into unexplored area's. Used to 'roughing it'. Another's main holidays (they still have primary school kids and one income)are in a camper van. Hubby and I have travelled many places and on varied budgets; from backpacking hostels to 5* luxury resorts. Mostly we timeshare now but we can rough it if we need to (and enjoy the experience!). Trying to keep costs down to a minimum as we have varied disposable income for holidays.

Good clean beds and rooms, some fans and either mossie nets over beds or coverings on windows for sleeping at night (and access to a fridge) would be our main requirements. Anyone know of anything okay in the budget to moderate range? Esp under NA$120 a night per room/couple? 3BR homes, beach bungalows, whatever.. hoping to stay in diff types of accomm in the diff islands.

Lasty for now (I've written an epic I'm sorry) help on Jetsave travel, inter-island flight combo's or air/accom packages would be greatly appreciated. Prices in general of drink and water and foodstuffs etc.

Thanks in advance SO MUCH. Because this will be for one couple their most major trip so far, and for quite some time in future, I really want to get this right for us all. :)

Level Contributor
826 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: 6 x Adults to Cooks - 1st time (& kids staying home) LOTSA...

Thanx Donna - will head back over to Jetsave website for a stickybeak now. I've just rec'd some costings from Jetsave for specific air/accom packages I requested so I'm going to compare those as well.

It is Australia Day today; hence public holiday; hence I am sitting on my bum web surfing the Cooks again and still no housework getting done!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
52. Re: 6 x Adults to Cooks - 1st time (& kids staying home) LOTSA...

Hi !

I will email Tim for you and see if kitesurfing lessons are still available. Even if you are not into the more extreme sports, you will still be OK - it is not as hard as it looks. They start you on the smaller kites & then get you into the water. It really is just all about controlling the kite - the board skills can come later. The lagoon is ideal to learn in as it is not deep ( you can stand up).Life jackets are a little bulky, some people wear vests that are slightly buoyant or a wetsuit. Really it is just the coral you have to watch out for if you are off the board! It obviously will depend on how much wind you get - we had about a week out of 2 weeks.

We stayed at Matriki for our first night. The place is very quaint & Robinson Crusoe-ish. Nice spot.Unfortunately we found the owner ( male ) quite rude, so decided to move on. The young Swiss honeymoon couple who arrived the day we left , we met a few days later, and they were having troubles in that respect too. Maybe he was just having a bad week! We didn't want to spend our days in this idyllic place feeling uncomfortable though - glad we moved on.

The snorkelling is fantastic opposite 'Fruits'.

Cindy

Pigeon Lake, ON
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: 6 x Adults to Cooks - 1st time (& kids staying home) LOTSA...

Cindy,

Just read your post on Tiana's - I have been looking for reasonable accommos on Rarotonga and Tiana's is in the mix. Wanted some input. We are on our way to NZ from Canada with a stop in CI next February. They have a studio right on the beach but sometimes its hard to tell from the internet what a place is really like. We have had good luck in all of our travels tho'. Spent some of my childhood in Brisbane and have been back twice in the last few years. My hubby wanted to pull up stakes and move. Too far from the kids for me or I'd be with him.

Lin

Brisbane
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
54. Re: 6 x Adults to Cooks - 1st time (& kids staying home) LOTSA...

Hi Lin

We loved Tiana's. They were building some new rooms whilst we were there. There were a couple of rooms that were older than the one we stayed in. All are absolute beachfront on Muri Lagoon. Our room was large with open plan living/dining/kitchen opening out onto huge verandah. It had a separate bedroom and big modern bathroom. The location is superb - about a 3 minute stroll along the beach to the large resort, sailing club etc. The owners are lovely and friendly. We thought it perfect- just a little further away from the backpacker/busier area, yet near enough to walk. You couldn't be staying much closer to the beach/lagoon than this! Any thing else I can help with, just ask!

On the Brisbane note- yes,it is a nice city, my parents have been here 25 years (we are New Zealanders from Auckland). I however will be moving back to Cairns in a few weeks - prefer the smaller cities! Have fun planning your trip! Cindy

Pigeon Lake, ON
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: 6 x Adults to Cooks - 1st time (& kids staying home) LOTSA...

Hi Again Cindy!

I have e-mailed Tiana's a couple of times but can't seem to get much info from them! It looks as if the studio that was on the beach is no longer available. This is the one we were hoping to get! From the jetsave website it looks as if they have built a new block of rooms, perhaps these are the ones you say they were building when you were there. There is no mention of these on Tiana's website though. Do you remember which bungalow you were in? You say it had a good view from the deck? Is it fairly quiet there?

Thanks again,

Lin

Brisbane
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
56. Re: 6 x Adults to Cooks - 1st time (& kids staying home) LOTSA...

Hello,

All the rooms are on the beach. Perhaps some of the new ones are larger ? We were in the third bungalow along if you are facing the water. ( May help if you get in contact). It is a small complex - I would say about 6 bungalows. It really is in a superb location. I will try and get some more info and let you know

Cindy

Brisbane
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
57. Re: 6 x Adults to Cooks - 1st time (& kids staying home) LOTSA...

Oh - also yes very peaceful - but just a short walk if you want a few people around you.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
58. Re: 6 x Adults to Cooks - 1st time (& kids staying home) LOTSA...

I just had a look on www.tianas.com. They obviously haven't updated it as there are more than the 3 rooms mentioned. We stayed in the one bedroom unit pictured.

Australia
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
59. Re: 6 x Adults to Cooks - 1st time (& kids staying home) LOTSA...

Hi Kitegirl :) Can you help JimWilly with his question on kitesurfing in Aitutaki.

60. Re: 6 x Adults to Cooks - 1st time (& kids staying home) LOTSA...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, August 16, 2009