We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling on Aitutaki

Sydney
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Snorkeling on Aitutaki

We are coming to CI in two weeks (wish it was tomorrow). Our first week is at Rumours, Aitutaki, I think it is near Black Rock. I have read that some places you can't snorkel or kayak as it is too shallow at low tide, Please tell me this area is not tidal as we love to swim, snorkel, & we'll give kayaking a go

Auckland
Level Contributor
160 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling on Aitutaki

Yes you are on an island in the sea,so it is tidal.You best bet for snorkelling is to go on a lagoon tour so you can snorkel your heart out.Captain Puna with the yellow boat is a good one.Or just wait for the tide to come in,don't forget some reef shoes.

Lloydminster, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling on Aitutaki

To me the lagoon in front of Rumors doesn't really look like it is suited to snorkeling. There is some good snorkling in front of Etu Moana, there are a couple of bouys where you can tie off a kayak..... and it is definately worth while going on a snorkel day tour. I want to try snorkeling by the marine center just up the beach from Rumors towards the airport but we will have to go when the tide is in.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling on Aitutaki

Black Rock is on Rarotonga, not Aitutaki. Chuck...

Belgium
Level Contributor
776 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling on Aitutaki

The lagoon in front of Rumours is full of fish but unfortunately too shallow for snorkeling or swimming (at low tide less than knee deep). However the fish come right up to the waterline and provide as such a colourful spectacle.

You can, as said above, walk south up to Etu Moana and snorkle there. You will find even better snorkling (in my opinion) when you walk north from Rumours to the end of the unused airport runway. (Seen from Rumours it is "behind" the bend of the coastline - have a look at google maps). It is my favorite off-land spot in Aitutaki for snorkeling: plenty of fish and snorkelable even at low tide (but better at high tide).

The walk from Rumours to that spot is about 15 min I would say.

The place called "Black Rock" in Aitutaki is situated at the northern end of Amuri village. Rumours is more to the north. (The bar at the Pacific Resort is called Black Rock Cafe).

Edited: 3:41 am, August 23, 2010
5. Re: Snorkeling on Aitutaki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 20, 2011