We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Less than 3 weeks to go. Some general questions:

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Less than 3 weeks to go. Some general questions:

We're off to Aitutaki on honeymoon in a couple of weeks, staying at Etu Moana, and have a few questions. Would be grateful for any response

Coconut Crusher Bar

Is this place still open? I've read through past forum posts regarding its closure, re-opening, re-closure etc, and wondered if anyone had any up-to-date info?

Bars general

Where would you recommend for a sociable drink of an evening? Somewhere the locals hang out would be perfect.

Kayaking

We were thinking of taking a kayak trip from the Ootu peninula, along the western side of the lagoon, stopping off at motu along the way to Mangere, and maybe as far as Papau if we're feeling energetic enough. How safe is this part of the lagoon with respect to tidal currents and winds?

Market

What days is the market on and has it been affected by cyclone damage?

Cyclone re-build

How is the rebuild of homes progressing following the cyclone? Can people volunteer to help out? I wouldn't mind chucking in for a day to help out, with general labouring duties, fetching & carrying etc.

Thanks in advance for any info

Cheers

Paul & Gaelle

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Less than 3 weeks to go. Some general questions:

Sorry, regarding kayaking: that should read Eastern side of the lagoon!!

Bowral, Australia
Level Contributor
211 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Less than 3 weeks to go. Some general questions:

Hi I'm suprised no one has replied as yet so i will try my best to help you out!

My partner and I returned from Aitutaki at the start of August. Beautiful part of the world although the main attraction is the lagoon.

We didnt see or hear of the coconut crusher bar while we there so I'm sorry I dont know if it is or isnt open.

We went to the Boat Shed a few of the nights we were there for dinner and drinks and there seemed to be a bar area where a lot of the locals drank and a big restaurant. The food was ok we ate there 3 times in total.

We also went kayaking down the eastern side off the OOtu. You can hire kayaks from Somade but they arent as cheap as you might think - $40 for the day. We also got a picnic lunch from Koru Cafe right near Somade and it was lovely but very pricey - $75 for two sandwiches, two cakes and two bottles of water. It was nice food and the staff were VERY helpful. I guess you just have to accept that nothing on Aitutaki is cheap like Raro.

The kayaking was good it wasnt very windy the day we went so not hard at all - and wear reef shoes because there are lots of shallow bits along the way that you can get out and pull the kayak if you get tired :-) I found that although the motu we kayaked to was nice, it had nothing on One Foot Island and the other motu down the southern end of the lagoon (too far to kayak to).

All in all we were a little disappointed with Aitutaki. The lagoon is the best in the world but only parts of it. The island itself is not as spectacular as Raro and there is nothing really there that blows your mind i.e. food or atttractions. We found it to be a place where you really go and expect to do absolutely nothing. We ended up going back to raro early and it wasnt a problem to change flights. I definitely preferred the island of Raro but you cant beat Aitutaki lagoon - it is just disappointing that you really need to do day trips to experience it.

If your interested in doing a bit of fishing or a lagoon cruise I would definitely recommend Black Pearl. We went out for two days with them and they are brilliant!

Have a great time!

3. Re: Less than 3 weeks to go. Some general questions:

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 pm, September 11, 2010
Auckland
Level Contributor
160 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Less than 3 weeks to go. Some general questions:

Hi - If you want to help out with rebuilds etc ,talk with your accomadation provider,they will probably have family there or know of somebody who needs help.Otherwise if you are driving about and see some construction going on ,just stop - smile broadly,wave your hand and just join in.

Aitutaki, Cook...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Less than 3 weeks to go. Some general questions:

Check out The Boat Shed for a casual adult beverage. It's a great place for dinner also. You might want to stop by the Aitutaki Game Fishing Club also on Wed, Friday and Saturday evening for some local color.

6. Re: Less than 3 weeks to go. Some general questions:

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:34 am, March 10, 2011