We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aitutaki - by boat?

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Aitutaki - by boat?

We will be in Rarotonga at the end of July - for 3 weeks.

Would love to go to Aitutaki, but looking at Air Raro, the prices are more expensive than our fares from NZ!

Is there any other way to get there, ferry or other boats?

Also, I understand we will be there during the Constitution. Is that a day or week long celebration? And what is there planned for it please?

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aitutaki - by boat?

The only way is to fly. There is a possibility of hopping a freighter out of Avatiu Harbor. Contact the Harbor Master there. Chuck...

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
879 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aitutaki - by boat?

Unfortunately, unless you are extremely flexible and have a great deal of time here, the only way to get to Aitutaki is by air. There is the possibility of some cheaper flights if they are not all booked up, but you will be here during the busiest time so it is highly unlikely that there will be any specials on.

You could try down at the harbor when you are here as occasionally there are yachts visiting Raro who may be heading that way for a few days, but, if you are really serious about visiting Aitutaki while you are here, I suggest you just bite the bullet and book a flight.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,115 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aitutaki - by boat?

Kia Orana Amanda, and welcome to our Cook islands forum.

Like Ms Vancouver, I suggest you go down to Avatiu wharf (Raro's main harbour) and make enquiries from the visiting yachties and the harbour master to enquire what's possible.

If you can hold off booking a flight, I also suggest that once you are on the rock, the aircraft heading out to pick up performers from Aitutaki may have cheaper seats. At least you're travelling in the right direction for this situation to be favourable! Call into Air Raro office at airport when you arrive.

Another tip, hold off until 1 week prior to travel to seek out a deal including flights and accommodation. Phone Island Hopper Vacations - speak to Ronnie; or call into Jetsave or Matina travel agencies in town.

All the very best dancers will be in Raro to perform and compete for the coveted titles from as many outer islands as there is transport available. I dont as yet know what arrangements are in place to bring people down from the Northern Group. It may be that Tapi Taio's interisland ships will be assigned for this purpose. Here's the link for local shipping movements. The Southern Xpress freighter is scheduled to depart Raro for Aitutaki around about the time you require transport. Problem is you can't rely on the dates until the ship actually leaves port. But give these contacts a go -

http://www.ck/shipping.htm

Constitution week is our self-governance celebration. Main events are held at the Auditorium at the Cultural Centre in Avarua. Nightly performances, totally enthralling as the competition builds. Being a competition, you see the very best dancers/drummers/story tellers/actions songs on stage. The costumes and choreography are of the highest possible standard. Combined with this are associated cultural activities held in town at the Punanga Nui market place and also at CITC main store in Avarua.

Door sales are available for the Auditorium. The final night is a sellout and not to be missed by any visitor for a great night out. Extra public buses are in operation. If you do go across to Aitutaki, it will be quiet there with many of the performers being absent especially to be in Raro.

Hope this helps. Kia manuia.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aitutaki - by boat?

Hey everyone,

After reading all your posts and discussing with my family, I think we will take our chances and wait till we get there to talk to the locals. I figure there must be a cheaper way to travel, hopefully I will find a way and let others know too! Would love to get to Aitutaki as I have heard such wonderful things about it.

Thank you so much for all your expert advice and help :)

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aitutaki - by boat?

Well we have been and returned from our trip to Raro, which was amazing!

Im glad we held out on booking to Aitutaki because after visiting Jetsave we got tickets $435 return including 2 nights accomodation and transfers.

I did inquire at the wharf but they said the cargo ships dont travel on specific days and to visit a couple of islands was really quite expensive anyway.

During constitution weekend Air Raro had a $99 special each way, and apparently if you keep ringing each week they do specials from time to time.

6. Re: Aitutaki - by boat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 21, 2011