We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather for End of March Wedding on Aitutaki

Antrim, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Weather for End of March Wedding on Aitutaki

Hello,

We are thinking of marrying in Aitutaki during the last week of March.

Could anyone advise us as to the likely weather conditions? We have received conflicting advice from various travel agents and the internet so we have ended up confused. We wouldn't mind a few hours of rain a day but the travel agents have suggested that we shouldn't visit in March/April.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather for End of March Wedding on Aitutaki

The reason you are receiving "Conflicting advice" is because it is THE WEATHER. It can not be predicted. The only thing we can tell you is that March is near the end of the "rainy season". However, lately, it has been dry in the rainy season and rainy in the dry season.

There is no reason to be confused. Your question just has no definitive answer. This is your first visit to The Cooks, yes? Chuck...

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,108 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather for End of March Wedding on Aitutaki

Kia Orana roscoeroo,

That rules me out then! I've taken numerous trips to Aitutaki during this particular time of year! From memory, there may have been some showers, but I can assure you I've yet to be drenched by rainfall outside of a hurricane! Maybe just been lucky; Murphy's law.

Where are you planning to get married on Aitutaki? This may have a bearing as to whether you are more protected by the prevailing winds, carrying precipitation. Precipitation on Aitutaki tends to occur mainly at night, unless its truly a tropical storm, and no one can predict weather anywhere. Showers tend to be brief, and its amazing how the sun comes out so quickly, the water just sizzles off the road in no time.

Refer to www.ck for climatic conditions. Local weather reports are more accurate than those derived from a distance IMO. Also www.cookislandsnews.co.ck. But look at what is happening now in the Southern group - we have drought conditions on Raro, yet its the rainy season. Ka kite.

Antrim, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather for End of March Wedding on Aitutaki

We are from Ireland so are well aware that weather is unpredictable but were concerned because one travel agent told us that we definitely should not go at the time we are planning. It's a long trip (27+ hours) for us so we wanted to make sure that it wouldn't be a complete wash out.

Thank you Frangipani for your helpful reply. Our own thoughts are to go ahead as we're certainly not scared of a bit of rain!

Thanks again.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,108 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather for End of March Wedding on Aitutaki

Hi roscoeroo,

I empathise with your predicament. It will be a long journey, but so very worth it with the special plans you are making. If you are holding your wedding ceremony at one of the resorts, and working alongside a wedding planner or the resort's management, I am sure they will help prepare a contingency plan just in case that liquid stuff does fall from the skies and isn't looking or feeling like confetti or rose petals.

Aitutaki is so romantic, and you couldn't have chosen a more beautiful spot to tie the knot. Sounds like the travel agents you have consulted paint a picture of constant rain for days on end. Think of monsoon, and apply it to Raro - like pinning the tail on the donkey, hah! Fortunately, that scenario isn't atypical of our weather, rest assured. I'll have a search on the Cook Islands Telecom site to see if I can track down an email address for the Met Office in Raro. Perhaps, if you email the guys there they can provide stats which identify previous rainfall patterns for late March.

Cheers - ka kite (go well).

Edited: 12:55 pm, January 21, 2010
nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,720 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather for End of March Wedding on Aitutaki

Hi

Hopefully this link will help you. Lots of other useful information on the site besides weather.

stats.gov.ck/Statistics/…climate.htm

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,108 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather for End of March Wedding on Aitutaki

That's a helpful site, NZlilibet. You can certainly see how much precipitation the 'high island' Rarotonga receives by comparison with Aitutaki! No wonder they are all smiles over there!

I wasn't successful in locating an email for the Met Office. Will do a little more investigation, and if I find a contact address i will post it here later today.

Cheers.

7. Re: Weather for End of March Wedding on Aitutaki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 21, 2010