We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When is the best time to travel to aitutaki?

Alberta
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
When is the best time to travel to aitutaki?

When is the weather the best. The non-rainy season if they have one.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,095 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When is the best time to travel to aitutaki?

Kia Orana sleepyjane,

My initial thought was to say that being a tropical nation, we have the dominant rainy season during summer, with less precipitation during winter - May to October. But... it hasnt worked out to be this typical tropical pattern over the past year. During our past winter, there has been increased precipitation, with a drought period extending over the southern Cook Islands during early summer, until now!

Either May when the heat of summer has eased off, or late September/October before the temps soar, and there is less rainfall overall are probably the most favourable times to visit.

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
916 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When is the best time to travel to aitutaki?

Reinforcing Frangipanis reply, our 16 day stay on Aitutaki, a year last May had just one day of rain. The other 15 were glorious hot sunny days with temps well into the late 30s and 40s. Superb!

Edited: 1:55 am, January 13, 2010
Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,539 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When is the best time to travel to aitutaki?

Hi sleepyjane

We were there in late May last year and while we were running around in our bikini’s the locals were wearing hoddies - it was there winter - quiet funny really! I would stay at this time of the year on the town side of the island as when we did visit the Aitutaki Resort and Spa it was quiet windy and did feel cool - whereas we were baking at Paradise Cove

Regards

Suzi

Colorado
Level Contributor
31 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When is the best time to travel to aitutaki?

When is the best time to travel to Aitutaki? Today!

I honestly don't think there is a bad time to visit Aitutaki.

There are pluses and minuses to different periods throughout the year. What is often (and quite mistakenly) called the "dry season" of June-October is also the busiest season, and tends to be more expensive. What many call the 'wet season' of December - March often has glorious weather, and there are deals to be had when traveling in these slower travel months.

My favorite months to visit Aitutaki are May and November. These are considered 'shoulder' season - the planes and resorts are usually not as full, the hotels/resorts offer good rates, and the weather is usually great.

If it were up to me of when to travel to Aitutaki, I would still stick with my original answer - today!

Alberta
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When is the best time to travel to aitutaki?

Thank-you all your responses have been wonderful and have helped me make a decision to start planning my trip. Thanks :)

vancouver b.c.
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: When is the best time to travel to aitutaki?

Beware of travelling to the Cooks in January. We spent 20 days on Rarotonga and Aitutaki in January 2010 and it rained 18 of the 20 days. While it didn't entirely ruin the trip I would avoid the rainy season if I had to do it again.

wellington
Level Contributor
70 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When is the best time to travel to aitutaki?

Great to hear you are planning your trip because in my view any time is a good time. Aitutaki is beautiful! We have been in June and September. We had some fabulous weather both times as well as some rain but it did not dampen our enjoyment one bit. have a great trip

Laurel

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: When is the best time to travel to aitutaki?

We usually schedule around October thru January. My wife likes mid-November and on because that's the best mango season. I like October because the big wahoo are still around. Aitutaki is a pleasant place to be even if it's raining.

9. Re: When is the best time to travel to aitutaki?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, August 28, 2010