We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone stayed at Ootu Beach House near Samade?

Somewhere in...
2 posts
Save Topic
Has anyone stayed at Ootu Beach House near Samade?

Kia Orana,

My husband and I will be staying in Aitutaki for two weeks in March and are looking for advice on accommodations. We are considering staying at Ootu Beach House which is located next to and serviced by Samade on the Beach. The place seems nice enough in the photos but we have been unable to find any reviews. Samade, who handles the bookings, has been slow to answer our questions. (They replied to our initial reservation request, but we've sent 3 more emails over the last 3 weeks with no response so far.)

Since the house does not have air conditioning we would be relying on fans and the sea breeze to keep us cool. We aren't sure if the house is fully screened. Does anyone know if it is? I'd hate to have to choose between mosquito bites and over heating! If anyone out there has stayed at Ootu Beach House and could offer any advice at all we would be forever grateful.

Thank you,

Sandwriter

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone stayed at Ootu Beach House near Samade?

Hi Sandwriter,

I'm fairly sure the house has insect-screening all around! It's nearly always occupied, and in a great location. Forget the air-con, you'll probably be charged a surcharge if it's available. The house faces into the lagoon channel through a few screening trees, so the ocean breeze should keep you cool. March can be fairly warm though, but you have the lagoon at your doorstep. If you require air-con at that time of the year, all Samade units have air-con.

Somewhere in...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone stayed at Ootu Beach House near Samade?

Kia Orana Frangipani,

Thank you ever so much for your response. We were starting to feel a bit nervous as our deposit is nearly due and we will soon be without proper email and reliable banking. (We are currently traveling in Fiji with some remote locales on the near horizon.)

We did finally hear back from Samade after leaving them a phone message yesterday. The person who handles the rental has been on leave for several weeks and this is why we haven’t received a response. Samade is going to get in touch with her and said we can expect to hear back with answers to our enquiries soon after.

As for the mozzie screening at Ootu, I feel much better after reading your post. I am apparently quite the delicacy for hungry mosquitoes. (I will be sure to pack plenty of coils etc, for use when outdoors.) Air conditioning at the house would only have been important if we were unable to keep the windows open to catch the breeze. I actually prefer fan cooling to AC, much nicer. The location really does sound lovely, and I’m sure we will be quite happy at Ootu Beach House.

Thank you again for your assistance. I have read your other posts and it seems you have been quite an angel for many visitors to the Cooks. How lucky for Trip Advisor and all its users to have you on board. Again, thank you with all my heart. You are truly a blessing.

Have a wonderful day over there in paradise!

Kia Manua,

Sandwriter

Belgium
Level Contributor
776 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone stayed at Ootu Beach House near Samade?

During our two week's stay at nearby Inano Beach Bungalow, we walked almost daily past the O'otu Beach House and we actually enquired at Samade about the house. It is screened and in a wonderful, possibly the most beautiful, location of Aitutaki. Moreover, it has an excellent swimming beach.

california
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone stayed at Ootu Beach House near Samade?

i really think the location of ootu as the "best" is drastically overrated. the other side of the island by town and those beaches are sandy and blue and swimmable and gorgeous and i write this as i was somehow fooled by all the trip advisor postings into beliving ootu was 'the only" place to stay. truth be told you are a required motorized vehicle ride from everything when you stay on that side of the island, there is 0 place to purchase groceries and you would be dependent on the overpriced koru cafe ($26 for a sandwich at lunch - i kid you not) or the similarly priced aitutaki lagoon resort for food, or else you will have to hire a scooter and scoot to town for basics. all you are near is the airpoirt and the mosquitoes- everything else happens at the other end of the island and the beaches there are lovely...

and as for dealing with management at samade- well good luck with that. i and the others based there had horrendous experiences with the lady of the house and the food was awful, too!

please reconsider some of the family run accommodations at the other side- they are tidy, gorgeous, private and yet close to things you may need. and BRING REPELLENT TO AITUTAKI!!!! LOTS AND LOTS!!! DAY AND NIGHT!!!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone stayed at Ootu Beach House near Samade?

Sounds like you didn't do your homework very well PC. For a long time now, the Cook Islands forum has been giving extensive and accurate advice about the Ootu area and what is available there and what isnt!!

As to your experiences with the owners of Samade (who incidentally manage the nearby Ootu Beach House on behalf of the owner), I can only say that on your particular occassion that experience is is not the general run of mill experience of others, including yours truly. I'm in no way linked to Samade, but I will speak up for operators who I consider offer value and service and curtesy to their guests in true Aitutaki style. Meitaki atupaka.

6. Re: Has anyone stayed at Ootu Beach House near Samade?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 pm, February 08, 2010
Orewa, New Zealand
Level Contributor
181 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone stayed at Ootu Beach House near Samade?

For me the West Coast is definately the preferred location to stay, with Outu great for day trips. Anyone who says a day on the loungers at Samades (buy a drink or two and lunch) looking at that view isnt paradise needs their head read! On the counter side it is a long way from shops and you do feel very isolated from the rest of the island, which is why we only stayed in that area once. As for the mossies, I contantly read on the forum about how bad they are on Aitutaki. In my experience (5 visits) they are not an issue as long as you spray your legs early morning or early evening. To my mind they are no worse than a camping holiday in NZ over summer. Enjoy your holiday, it truly is a wonderful place

starsparkles
Level Contributor
157 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone stayed at Ootu Beach House near Samade?

We didn;t like the Samade, and frankly,Miss Hobart, you have posted two separate personal attacks on Peterman California that I think are inappropriate.

Attention Editors: You are letting certain people dominate your boards which drives sparse posters ie: people with "lives" to go elsewhere and not contribute. This means your boards become myopic and slanted toward one or two places and opinions.

Gosh, the reason I left the boards before is that people ganged up on me when I didn;t LOVE a destination.

It's the real world, people, some of us who have seen a lot of it just aren;t that enchanted with places you might love. And as is evidence, the reverse is true.

People want a range of opinions and to gang up one someone who disagrees is childish.

Edited: 4:16 pm, February 08, 2010
9. Re: Has anyone stayed at Ootu Beach House near Samade?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

10. Re: Has anyone stayed at Ootu Beach House near Samade?