We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Aitutaki?

Clarion, PA
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Aitutaki?

I am currently trying to plan a honeymoon to Aitutaki. Where is the best place to stay, to get the most out of our visit. We are considering The Aitutaki Lagoon Resort & Spa. Any other suggestions? Thanks

Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Where to stay in Aitutaki?

Poodoollvr:

I'm sorry - It's late and I am tired and just re-read your post. You stayed in the Deluxe Beachfront Bungalow - and it was refurbished. Sorry about that. Do you know if the lesser categories are also refurbished?

We were quoted $599 NZD for this category versus $760 NZD for the Pacific Resort Aitutaki - Beachfront Bungalow which I know will be close enough to visit other restaurants. Just don't know if it is worth the extra money.

Also are there lots of stairs between beach, pool, and rooms etc. I have to keep in mind I am carrying around a 20 lb infant all day.

Thanks for any advice. C

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,478 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Where to stay in Aitutaki?

Hi Hi:

Just thought you should know that there are indeed lots of stairs at the Pacific Resort...a large staircase from the reception to the swimming pool and also walking around is a bit hilly if you are carrying an infant. The Aitutaki Lagoon Resort hasn't done much since I was there in April. They were working on a few of the beachfront bungalows since then and mainly rebuilding the beach bar since then. The garden bungalows and lagoon bungalows (my least favorite catagory) have tie died bedspreads if you can imagine that! Hopefully some have been replaced. The restaurant is really expensive and if it were me I'd stay at the Pacific Resort in Aitutaki...albeit a bit hilly...the resort is beautiful and worth the extra money.

sunny regards,

shully

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Where to stay in Aitutaki?

Hi HoneymoonGirl

I deleted your email so couldnt reply ... sorry.

Any joy with Etu Moana ... ?

Jill

Dawson Creek, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Where to stay in Aitutaki?

Just returned from the Cook Islands. We were there at the end of October. Etu Moana is great. Salt water pool and an honour bar. We also stayed one night at Are Tamanau which is close to Etu Moana, so the beaches are similar. I think they take kids as well. They also have an on site restaurant which is nice to have. Etu Moana does not but you can rent a scooter right at Etu Moana and buy supplies at the local stores. If you stay at Etu Moana look for the blue starfish.

Good luck.

Clarion, PA
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Where to stay in Aitutaki?

I have read about this blue starfish on a few other posts, what is it? Is it actually a blue starfish?? And where should we expect to find it?? We have a travel agent working up a 10 night stay at Etu Moana, in a beachfront villa. Is this a long enough stay??

Thank for the info.

Orewa, New Zealand
Level Contributor
181 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Where to stay in Aitutaki?

Cannuks,

I was up there in September. I didn't stay at ALR, but ran into people who did and they weren't that impressed. We stayed there the year before, and I didn't feel it was value for money then. It is also the most isolated resort on the main island. Too far to walk to the Pacific Resort, which probably has the best restaurant, and way to far to walk to town. You can hire scooters though, which will get you anywhere on the island within about 15-20mins

San Diego...
Level Contributor
660 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Where to stay in Aitutaki?

HoneymoonGirl, are you staying on any other islands while you are there or just Aitutaki?

Wow, 10 nights is awesome! Im'm sure you will really get to explore most of the island.

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,478 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Where to stay in Aitutaki?

Yes the blue starfish is actually alive and living in the lagoon in Aitutaki...they are really beautiful...the Etu Moana uses the blue starfish as their logo...see their website...www.etumoana.com They also have used it around the property ie: swimming pool and along the cement walkways. Ten days! Oh my are you a lucky one! You will never want to come home!

sunny regards,

shully

Clarion, PA
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Where to stay in Aitutaki?

We are staying at Etu Moana for all 10 nights, does that seem like too much at one place? I just dont want to travel all that way and then have to turn around and leave right away. I cant wait, I'm so excited and I still have 6 months to go!!!

Manchester UK
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
20. Re: Where to stay in Aitutaki?

Personally, I think it may be too long in one place. I can recommend Ginas garden lodges or also staying one night on One Foot Island, which is great.

Get answers to your questions about Aitutaki