We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

aitutaki hotels

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
53 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
aitutaki hotels

Hi everyone,

We are planning on going to the Cook islands in a few weeks time. I have read all about the weather and the best time to go etc..Has anyone been to the Cooks end of May-beginning of June? What is the weather like then as far as temperature and rain are concerned. ?

Also I would like to know if someone can help us with some feedback on the Are Tamanu beach?

Is the beach a nice place to relax/snorkel/swim? or do you need to use the pool? We would like to get away from it all in a nice environment, bungalow with the basic requirements and utilities that work, warm water , fridge, coffee maker etc..things you don't think about and you take for granted.

Lots of questions...

Hope someone can help us.

Thanks everyone.

Laura

Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: aitutaki hotels

Stayed at the original Are Tamanu site (not the new one next door) in the single beach-front bungalow back in 2002. The beach there is excellent with great snorkeling. Sounds like it would have what you are looking for.

I would think temps on Aitutaki that time of year would be near 80.

Ken

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,438 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: aitutaki hotels

Hi travelbug:

I've been there in May. This is the beginning of their winter in the Cooks so the weather is alittle cooler than the very very hot and humid time in Feb. There is little rain historically during June as this is the drier season. Historical weather can be found at:

www.weatherbase.com

The beaches along the side of the island where the Are Tamanu is are lovely. The water is shallow out to the reef in most places, although some of the hotels have dug out swimming channels in front of their properties. Are you staying at the original Are Tamanu property? If so, they have a nice small horizon pool on the water with a bar right next to it. The bungalows are fine but rather close together in my estimation. The Are Tamanu has combined with another property next door (the brothers own them both) the Manea Beach. So there is also a nice restaurant next door now. You will enjoy the quiet pace and the gorgeous lagoon in Aitutaki! Have a wonderful trip!

sunny regards,

shully

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
53 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: aitutaki hotels

Great. Thanks both Shully and Ken!

I think we are staying at the Tamanu beach, don't know if it's supposed to be the new part or the old though. Should it be called Manea if it's the new building? Is the old part a bit outdated and not as nice?

Need to check with the travel agency and make sure that we get the Manea room on the beach...

Looking forward to the beach and the beautiful surroundings!

Laura

4. Re: aitutaki hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, August 28, 2009