We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tahiti vacation questions

Beach City Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Tahiti vacation questions

I have read all of the fantastic comments and suggestions I could find, including trip reports, but still have a few questions. Please forgive me if I post this under the Bora Bora forum as well since these questions pertain to both islands. My husband, myself and another couple ( all 60 ish) will be celebrating our anniversaries June 18 -30 on Moorea ( 3 nights), Bora Bora ( 4 nights) and Rangoria (3 nights). We love to travel and experience most anything ( we don't scuba dive, skydive, or hike) within reason for people our age. We love to eat great food, whether at a fine dining establishment or a local eatery. Assuming price is not important, I have a few questions and would appreciate your help.

Hotel questions:

Trying to experience a little of each type of room, we are staying in Deluxe Garden Villa at the Hilton Moorea, a Diamond Overwater villa at the Intercontinental Thalasso on Bora Bora and a Beach Bungalow at the Kia Ora on Rangoria. At the Hiton, are there any rooms we should request or stay away from getting? Same question for the other two hotels as well.

Restaurant questions: we are very disappointed that La Villa Mahana will be closed from June 15 till July 14 ( does anyone know why) so we will have to go with other restaurants. Are there any on any of these islands that would require reservations before we leave? I know there are many worth visiting but had only seen La Villa Mahana mentioned as making reservations this far ahead of time.

Excursions: same question, don't want to over plan, we want to "go with the flow" but would there be anything on any of these islands we should book now?

The reason I was concerned is we were told this is honeymoon season and it may be very busy at this time. I would hate to go all that way and be disappointed we couldn't eat somewhere or do an activity because we failed to book early. Thanks for any help you might provide. Many of your posts have already been very helpful.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Papeete, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tahiti vacation questions

I'll only answer Moorea restaurant questions.

Le Mayflower

Rudy's

Snack Mahana (lunch only)

Villa Mahana Bora takes an annual vacation

Beach City Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tahiti vacation questions

Do any of these require reservations before we get to Moorea?

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tahiti vacation questions

No, no advance reservations necessary.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Papeete, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tahiti vacation questions

If you decide to go to Snack Mahana go about 11:45am so get a table or call Hefara and reserve a table.

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,796 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tahiti vacation questions

So sorry that you will miss out on Villa Mahana. My next choice in Bora Bora is always MaiKai. Wonderful food. Reservations are not a must but you might want to make reservations the first day you get to Bora Bora.

Excursions I would say wait till you get there with the exception of whale and Dolphin watching with Michael Poole. It's early for whales you always see something.

In Rangiroa you don't have much of a choice but the hotel restaurant. I just stayed there in December and the food was very good.

Enjoy your trip

regards Bo

Edited: 10:12 pm, March 29, 2013
6. Re: Tahiti vacation questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 31, 2014