We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos

Huntington Beach...
7 posts
Save Topic
Mosquitos

How bad are they? Any good recommendation for a repellant?

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Tuamotu Archipelago
Level Contributor
491 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Mosquitos

We just returned from Tikehau, Rangiroa and Taha'a and we were eaten alive by mosquitoes this time. Because of last time, we didn't bring much, and we used it up within the first 4 days and still got eaten. THey bit in the areas we missed with the repellent. I would not use anything without DEET either, because I don't find it works at all. There were mosquitoes on resorts, and if it's a pension t ype resort they don't spray anyway. We bought what we could find while there after running out, but next time I will bring plenty because I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and be out. The rain this year has caused quite an increase in population is what we were told.

We each were covered in bites, well over 50, and it does get miserable.

Edited: 10:28 am, April 04, 2013
Michigan
Level Contributor
2,358 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Mosquitos

What do Tahitians do about mosquitos?

California
Level Contributor
729 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Mosquitos

wico6768, the mosquitoes must have liked you. We were in Taha'a (both Vahine Island and Le Taha'a) last week and neither of us got one mosquito bite. We had the spray from buggspray and never used it once.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Tuamotu Archipelago
Level Contributor
491 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Mosquitos

Tahaa wasn't nearly as bad as Tikehau and Rangiroa were. But when we went to chez louise we did get bites. Not much at the resort. We did, however, at the resorts on both Tikehau and Rangiroa. To me, using the spray is a lot better than suffering. And yes, mosquitoes love both of us. If we missed a spot they';d find it and then bite 5-6 times in that spot.

The first time to FP we only got bit once and that was while driving around the island of Huahine, up in a lot of vegetation looking out onto the lagoon for pics.

This trip was a lot different, which is why we didn't bring enough bugg spray. We have pictures of all the different varieties we bought after we ran out of our Bugg spray (the vanilla stuff).

So next time on any trip to any tropical location, we will come armed. I'm all healed up now, just a couple of areas where scabs remain.

Edited: 1:35 pm, April 04, 2013
Huntington Beach...
7 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Mosquitos

Thanks everyone for your input. I will definately go prepare with lots and different types.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,936 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Mosquitos

I continue to recommend Buggspray (2 g's), which you can buy at www.buggspray.com. It's 25% Deet, doesn't smell bad, and works wonderfully in French Polynesia. Also, there is a product sold locally in FP (but expensive there) called Aeroguard, which is an Australian product, and that works well too.

Type 1 dengue fever is now on Moorea and Tahiti, so be careful to spray yourself!

Buggspray also sells a 1-oz. spray pump that is handy to carry in your purse, can be taken through security, and you will NEED it at the Bora Bora airport, which is infamous for its mozzies!

17. Re: Mosquitos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 12, 2014