We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drift snorkeling

toronto
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
drift snorkeling

Has anyone done "drift snorkeling" in Moorea or Bora Bora? How dangerous if at all does it feel? I guess I'm thinking about just how fast the current is??? Thanks...S.

Moorea
Level Contributor
365 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: drift snorkeling

There is very little current in Moorea or Bora Bora. No need to worry.

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: drift snorkeling

Drift snorkeling is done from a break in the reef and than on into the lagoon. It was made famous and popularied on Rangiroa at the Tiputa Pass. I drift snorkeled in fiji and it was incredible though I did not see the variety of fishes and sharks that can be seen at Rangiroa. Pub

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
233 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: drift snorkeling

No worries at all indeed especially in Moorea and Bora.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
146 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: drift snorkeling

We went on a cruise 2 years ago in FP and one of the excursions we did was called "drift the coral garden". The boat departed from Raitea and if I am not mistaken, we passed the Te Tiare resort just before we reached the area where we would be snorkeling. The "garden" was between 2 motus and we could see Bora Bora in the distance. We walked along the edge of one of the motus (reef shoes were a must) to the other side where we got into the water. There was a strong current pushing us back in the direction of where we had anchored. Our guide led us thru the most amazing coral garden we've ever seen. The coral was shallow in spots and you had to be careful or you could get scraped up. It was an amzing experience and one I hope to repeat.