We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining Experiences at The Sofitel?

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
7 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Dining Experiences at The Sofitel?

We are headed to the Sofitel in about 2 weeks and are looking for some input on dining experiences. We like a good breakfast and lunch and very light dinner. Can you order off the menu for breakfast or is it buffet only? What is the approximate cost? Are sandwhiches and salads available for lunch a' la carte? What are the a' la carte options available for dinner? We have no interest in a big meal and actually prefer snacks or heavy appetizers. Also, is there a children's menu or at least some basic food that might appeal to children? I had read a post about a children's menu from 2009 so just thought I'd get an update.

Lastly, is there a market or other place to buy food within walking distance? We will not have a car but would be up for walking about 2 miles or so. If not, is there a market at the ferry dock where we could stock up on some food items and water?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
90 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dining Experiences at The Sofitel?

Hi there!

Did you book a package with breakfest? If so, we are talking about buffet in your case. The buffet is excellent ! And served on their terrace with a beautiful view of tahiti. For lunch, you can order a la carte but i suggest looking in the restaurants category on trip advisor for snacks, they offer better prices and are very good.

For dinner, try to go out of the hotel a bit to vary since you will be there 2 weeks. I suggest mayflower (book in advance) rudys, tiki village, there is more good ones if you look at the restaurant category.

For the market, its about 4 miles from the Sofitel. Its called Champion and its about 5 minutes after the ferry dock on the right side coming from the sofitel. Here is a map of moorea:

Www.farehamara.com/map.html

Have a nice vacation and feel free to ask more questions :)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
90 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dining Experiences at The Sofitel?

Sorry, this is the link :

http://www.farehamara.com/Map.html

Temecula, CA
Destination Expert
for Temecula
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dining Experiences at The Sofitel?

You don't indicate which of the Sofitels you are staying at, but since you mention the ferry dock - I'll assume that you are referring to the one in Moorea.

Our stay at the Sofitel Moorea included breakfast as part of the price. So - as the poster indicated above, it was a buffet.

We ate a fairly large breakfast and then took some of the offerings at breakfast back to the room and put them in the fridge for later in the day for snacks - Ah! the chocolate croissants!!!

The Sofitel has two restaurants for dinner - one that is more intimate and geared towards couples and another that served a buffet style dinner. The food was fine at the dinner buffet - a lot of choices - but extremely expensive compared to what you could get at one of the restaurants in town. Also, fish was the main entree - a lot of choices of fish. We only ate at the dinner buffet twice because after eating a large breakfast, smaller lunch - we really were not that hungry around dinner time. My kids eat fish - so there would not have been a problem had we brought them along. However - if your children are typical hamburger, chicken finger and hot dog lovers - there's going to be an issue. I don't recall any pasta dishes, but email the resort ahead and ask them. They are pretty good at responding quickly - usually within 24 hours.

The Moorea Sofitel is remotely located away from town. Some of the restaurants will come and pick you up as part of their service. Investigate here more on TA to get an idea of which ones will.

We rented a car for 1 day - just to explore and to go to the grocery and stock up on some supplies for the fridge. If you are standing on the Ferry - the grocery is to the left by about 1/2 mileish (?). The Sofitel is to the right about another mile or so. Its a narrow and winding road, so if you decide to walk - do so early in the day when its a little bit cooler or later in the afternoon - and be careful because some of the curves are blind ones. To get to the grocery from the Sofitel, exit the Sofitel and go to your left.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
7 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dining Experiences at The Sofitel?

Thank you and thanks for the link to the map.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
7 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dining Experiences at The Sofitel?

Thanks for the tips. Very helpful. We don't like to eat a big dinner. Do you know whether there are snacks or light meals at Vue (I think that is the name of the bar)? I have not been able to find much information on the hotel website and have read every forum I can find, but some of them are a few years old, so I thought worth asking the same questions.

Temecula, CA
Destination Expert
for Temecula
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dining Experiences at The Sofitel?

Sorry can't help you - we tried as much as possible to avoid eating at the Sofitels because of their prices. Try emailing them though. Like I said, they are great at responding pretty quickly.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
90 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dining Experiences at The Sofitel?

I think you can order snacks at Vu but they are only litlle snacks. If you want lunch like sandwich, pasta, burger, better go to the Pure restaurant for lunch (main restaurant at the Sofitel) if you email them, they will even send you all their menus:) here is the email adress : H0566@sofitel.com

Concierge is Olivier de Ronseray but any staff will help you with this email.

Edited: 11:18 am, July 01, 2012
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Dining Experiences at The Sofitel?

Just ate at the Sofitel last night. Fabulous food! Not sure all the options. I think there are 3 restaurants there. There is a market just to the left of the ferry landing. It has almost everything. We arrived yesterday and am renting a house. Needed food so went shopping. Market Had rin out of eggs earlier in the day. Walking is a hazard. I love to walk. As soon as we got here family was napping so I went for a short walk on beach. I was attacked by pack of dogs and spent rest of day in er. Could have been killed. Do not feel safe walking anywhere except in resorts. The non tourist places are over run with dogs. Er said they see lots of dog attacks among natives. Tourists should stay in resorts.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
217 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dining Experiences at The Sofitel?

We stayed at the Sofiel in Moorea and to be honest, we didn't think the food was that great. It was also extremely overpriced, as to be expected. There are several restaurants that pick up from the Sofitel for free - if you ask them, they will make reservations for you. I highly recommend renting a car one day to check out Mayflower which is on the opposite end of the island. That was by far our favorite meal in Moorea.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
7 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dining Experiences at The Sofitel?

Holy cow! Well that puts a damper on my idea of getting some exercise and taking a scenic hike while picking up some food. Sorry that happened to you. Hope you are not in too much pain and can still enjoy your trip. Hope you don't get any scars. Those are not good souveniers.