We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell phone coverage in Moorea

San Jose, California
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cell phone coverage in Moorea

We are heading to Moorea next week. I have an iPhone with AT&T and I was wondering what the cell phone service was like over there? What do I need to do before I leave to have cell coverage while in Moorea?

Thanks!

Kevin

Temecula, CA
Destination Expert
for Temecula
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell phone coverage in Moorea

You'll need to call AT&T and tell them where you are going and ask if they have coverage there. Also ask them about rates while in Moorea and if the iphone will work there.

We have Verizon and they had to send us a special phone to use on FP's cellular network. We also discovered that we could send texts back to the states for a nominal cost whereas if we used their phone, we would be charged obscene rates for using it in FP. We could, however, purchase a temporary plan for use while we were in FP, but again, the rates were obscene. We stuck to texts to stay in touch with our business and kids back home and it worked fine.

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell phone coverage in Moorea

Your phone has to be unlocked for international calling. As theposter said before it is incredibly expensive. T-mobile charges me 4.99 per minute in and out going call. As the poster before recommended texting is the better option. I have bought a Motorola USD25.00 quad phone and then I buy a local SIM card for about CFP 1000. You don't pay for incoming calls.

Regards BO

San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell phone coverage in Moorea

The coverage works well from the ferry docks all the way over to just past Le Petite Village, all along the north side. Once you iphone is unlock the rate through AT&T was around $2.50 USD per minute, might be a bit higher now but I'm sure that is close. At&T has the figures if you look under their International options. Text is a good option, about 50 cents a text outbound.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell phone coverage in Moorea

Ia Orana

just returned and fresh info about cell phone coverage on Moorea

Att Unlocked phones do work on Moorea (some spots better than other)

once you arrive at Tahiti Faaa airport, your phone will switch to the Tahitian phone system and you will receive a text message with the rates 2.89 / Min and data is $ 19.97 /MB.

Make sure to switch your phone to airplane mode to avoid roaming charges for any data updating ( emails or other)

Bon Voyage

Meherio

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell phone coverage in Moorea

Thanks for the info. I am going to check my phone bill from October and make a call to T-mobile:)

Regards BO

Asia
Level Contributor
98 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cell phone coverage in Moorea

Call T mobile and ask to unlock your phone. Then purchase a local SIMM, but you will get a local phone number.. next, buy a long distance phone card... I did that in Paris... maybe can do the same in Tahiti.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,837 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cell phone coverage in Moorea

Your calls in FP have to go through Vini, the only provider at this time. You can find a lot more information here: www.vini.pf/index.php?id=welcome_to_vini_en

Asia
Level Contributor
98 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cell phone coverage in Moorea

Thank you! I will look for a SIMM card and phone card after I arrive. I assume there are places that I can top-up.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,837 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cell phone coverage in Moorea

Lao,

You can get a SIM card and recharge cards at any post office (called OPT) and also at many shops, supermarkets, and hotel gift shops.

Incoming calls will be free; however, using a cell phone is an expensive way to make outgoing international calls, and you would be better off with a phone card (called Telecarte) and a payphone.

Edited: 1:19 pm, May 03, 2012
Asia
Level Contributor
98 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cell phone coverage in Moorea

BarbJKM: Thank you so much!