We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Regular Overwater Bungalow at Moorea Pearl--worth it?

Mar Vista, CA
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Regular Overwater Bungalow at Moorea Pearl--worth it?

I was wondering if the regular (not premium) Overwater Bungalows at the Moorea Pearl are nice and worth the price. Where will your porch be facing, will you see enough fish, is the visibility of the water good, and is there too much coral near them to enjoy a swim? Anything anyone can tell me would be graciously appreciated--thanks! :-)

U.K.
Level Contributor
521 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Regular Overwater Bungalow at Moorea Pearl--worth it?

We stayed in a non premium overwater bungalow at the Pearl last October and I would say that they are worth the price, though there was nothing wrong with the garden bungalows either.

The non premiums face both ways - facing the island with mountain peaks as a backdrop and facing out to sea with other bungalows in the way. The premiums are over the drop off and as the water is deeper there is a lot more marine life (corals and fish). The non premiums are in waist deep water with a featureless sandy bottom and therefore few fish. To overcome this we gathered rocks from the surrounding area and piled them under our bungalow and Hey Presto!...instant reef which was populated by lots of fish within minutes.

At night when the under bungalow lighting is switched on we would see shoals of big mullet feeding on the plankton attracted by the light.

The best snorkelling is along the edge of the drop off where there are lots of fish and the occasional turtle too.

All in all we had a great time at the Pearl and I'm sure you will too.

Take care

Padi

utah
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Regular Overwater Bungalow at Moorea Pearl--worth it?

We stayed in a garden room and had an excellent time. I really don't think the over water rooms are worth the price. The best snorkeling is not directly under any bungalow but a short kayak ride out past the bungalows. The regular overwater rooms face the beach but there are fish everywhere. The visiblility of the water is excellent except after a storm when it gets cloudy by the shore. You get the same wonderful treatment in a less expensive room and they are identical floor plans. You should definitely include the meal plan with your stay - excellent food at a super deal! Hope this helps. It is the vacation of a lifetime - you will love it!