We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dr. Poole's Dolphin Tour - cost and days offered?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
829 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Dr. Poole's Dolphin Tour - cost and days offered?

Hi! Does anyone know what the regular price of Dr. Poole's tour is? We'll be visiting Moorea on a cruise ship and then coming back to spend five days. Our ship offers his tour for $99 per person, but I'm wondering if it would be less expensive for us to do it on our own after the cruise. Also, is it worth it to do his trip when whales are out of season? I hear he is quite the dolphin expert too. I tried sending him an e-mail but it got bounced back as undeliverable.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
829 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dr. Poole's Dolphin Tour - cost and days offered?

I also meant to ask which days of the week he offers it besides when cruises are in port.

NYC
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dr. Poole's Dolphin Tour - cost and days offered?

$99 sounds less than we paid two years ago.....thats a recession for you!

We found Dr Poole to be condescending and unpleasant so would not recommend the tour. Others find him informative and gracious so I suppose it is, like many things, a personal preference.

Whales are fairly rare in Moorea, especially as compared to places like Maui. So the reality is that in off season the likelihood of seeing whales or dolphins is not high. Even if you do see whales from what I can tell it is probable that it will be very briefly and in the distance

NYC
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Dr. Poole's Dolphin Tour - cost and days offered?

We found Dr Poole to be condescending and unpleasant so would not recommend the tour. Others find him informative and gracious so I suppose it is, like many things, a personal preference.

Whales are fairly rare in Moorea, especially as compared to places like Maui. So the reality is that in off season the likelihood of seeing whales or dolphins is not high. Even if you do see whales from what I can tell it is probable that it will be very briefly and in the distance

NYC
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Dr. Poole's Dolphin Tour - cost and days offered?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
829 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dr. Poole's Dolphin Tour - cost and days offered?

Thanks for the feedback on the tour. We know that we aren't likely to see whales, but was wondering if the dolphin portion is interesting enough to still do or if we should skip it and do another tour.

NYC
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Dr. Poole's Dolphin Tour - cost and days offered?

On our trip, which was in whale season, we saw two whales at a great distance and only briefly. We did not see any dolphins at all.

I would recommend doing a manta ray and shark tour instead. With a bit of luck you will get to see whales and dolphins, if there are any around, at the same time.

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dr. Poole's Dolphin Tour - cost and days offered?

We've seen dolphins a couple times on our Shark/Ray/Motu picnic tour. So it really depends on if you want the whole educational experience he provides...or if you just want the possibility of seeing some dolphins.

Not taking anything away from Dr Poole's tours...which are well done, very informational and educational....but for any of you who have been (or will go) to Hawaii in the winter months, you will see MANY more whales in Hawaii than you will ever see in French Polynesia.

Probably the biggest difference is Dr Poole lets some people get into the water with the whales to see them from below. And it is very cool to possibly see them in the lagoon vs the open ocean....usually providing superior water clarity.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dr. Poole's Dolphin Tour - cost and days offered?

Ia orana

the tour costs 79 000 XPF per person payable cash on board.

thedays for the tour are Mondays and Thursday morning

with pick up arrangesd in most hotels.

I have taken many times the tours both during the whale watching season ( this year has simply been spectacular ) and also during the dolphin season. we had some great encounters and also a very enjoyable boat tour of moorea in either case.

Photos at :

www.facebook.com/album.php…

Facebook users can also join :

Alumni Of Dr Michael Poole's Dolphin and Whale Watching Expedition - Tahiti

Washington
Destination Expert
for Papeete, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dr. Poole's Dolphin Tour - cost and days offered?

My good freind couldn't get his finger off the zero key soon enough.

The price is 7900 xfp

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dr. Poole's Dolphin Tour - cost and days offered?

Touche and indeed confirmed at 7900 XPF!