We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Moorea

Bora Bora, French...
Level Contributor
967 posts
Save Topic
Air Moorea

FYI as per August 1st air moorea will only take off if the plane is full so keep that in mind when booking as it may affect your travel schedule.

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Moorea

So what happens on the way back to Papeete to cacth your flight back home? Say, you're on that last afternoon flight before evening prices kick in...do they bump you to a later flight and yu have topay the difference...which is okay, if you have to...or do they make you take an earlier flight?

I suppose if you continue on with that logic, you won't wnat to be on that last flight...if it's not full...they won't fly it at all??? How do they work that????

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
203 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Moorea

They were doing that in June as well. It didn't happen to us but happened to others. When we booked Air Moorea from the hotel we were careful to ask how many seats were available. We also left early enough that if the flight didn't go the ferry would.

Our flight had several seats left over and we were told we were fine. When we got to the airport they told us our flight was full and that we had been bumped to the next flight which left 20 minutes later. Everything went well.

Pismo Beach...
Level Contributor
188 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Moorea

I'm leaving for Moorea on Aug. 9, so I'll try to give some feedback on what happened/didn't happen. I suppose it wouldn't be so bad to be stuck on the island for another night or so if the plane isn't full enough!

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,509 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Moorea

My advice:

Never ever take the last flight back to anywhere.

also remember the resorts usually will reconfirm your flight for you, this wouldn't take into account last minute changes, but certainly would enable the transfer company to know when your transfer should be. No worries about all this, unless you book yourself and have to scurry around making changes in paradise. I'm sure it'll all be fine, there are lots of flights and the ferry, there are worse places to be stuck eh? hahaha!

sunny regards,

shully

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Moorea

I have had problems with my return flight to Papeete on Air Moorea 2 of my last 3 trips. (these were all in the past 2 years)

One time they cancelled our 6:30 flight and put us on one an hour earlier one and no one told us. Our transport driver just showed up to pick us up (an hour early)...thank God we were ready to go....we were just sitting in the lobby reading.

Another time, they overbooked and bumped us from the 6:30 flight. They told us the day before and wanted to re-book us on a 10am flight to Papeete...our international flight didn't leave Papeete until 10PM!!! We opted for the last ferry instead.

After these 2 incidents, I absolutely suggest you reconfirm your flights the day before...just in case you have to make alternate plans for the ferry.

My Mom and sister are going in Oct, and again, are booked on that 6:30 return flight. I'm worried they will mess with her flight to. Hopefully she'll be able to get it all worked out okay.

AND...

Also reconfirm your international flights on Air Tahiti Nui. ESPECIALLY if you made the reservations yourself! They are changing flights right and left. My Mom's flight home from Papeete in Oct was changed from the 10pm departure to the 11:55pm flight. We received NO NOTICE! ATN has our email, they have our phone #...and still no notice! I only know because a friend had the same issue with his flight in Nov...so I went into the ATN site, checked my Mom's resevations, and sure enough they changed her flight too! Hopefully the flight will not be running late and she'll be able to make her connection at LAX. She had a 4.5 hour window...now she has a 2.5 hour window.

This exact same thing happend to me a few years ago with ATN...and we had no idea until we got to the airport in Papeete and saw our flight didn't exist. We had to hunt down an ATN official to find out what happened. They had cancelled the 10pm flight and booked us on a later flight and because we didn't know in advance...and had to make our seat seletions right there at the airport...we had the worst possible seats imaginable! Very last row...that DOESN'T recline!!!! And to top it off...that flight was delayed by another 2 hours...and we ended up missing our connection back to Vegas. Needless to say, we were not happy campers!

So...big word of advice...RE-CONFIRM your flights!!!!

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
492 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Moorea

Great advice, LVP! Thanks for flagging this stuff.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
67 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Moorea

great suggestion to check with Air Tahiti VT, I had reservation from BOB to PPT 6:40PM flight, arriving at PPT at 7:30pm, I just cked, and my flight had been changed to depart at 5:30PM, and like Patti said,, no one notified me!!!

I am going there in Oct, and will continue to check to make sure i get on the flight!

thanks for the tip everyone!!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
829 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Moorea

ATN has changed our flight twice now and has not informed us either time. Once it evened changed days!!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air Moorea

Ia orana

great info and advice, Thank you LVP for passing it on.

Golden rule while making a booking on your own:

1/ provide your contact information as for thelephone numbers ( home and the hotels where you are going to be ) and your email address.

2 / Do reconfirm your flight 48 hours before and also call the same day to enquire about any possible problem, delay, technical, act of god (or others with the similar power to disrupt any well planned trip). The 48 hour call can prevent last minute disappointments and allow for time to put a solution in place for you.

3/ Air moorea, as from November the number of flight will actually go down to 4 per day.

Never book the last one to start with

Do reconfirmn the same day (phone 55 06 01)

Should there be any advice of bad weather (or should the skies look that menacing) be prepared for a plan B action to take a ferry.

It is so sad to have such a great shuttle operation to dwindle down to that now (for the joy of the 2 ferry lines operators ).

Aug 28 saw a freak depression weather system reaching the island with very strong winds and the cancellation of the Air Moorea flights. There was no warning before hand, the color of the menacing skies would have made me call the Aremiti ferry to book the last passage....

In short, in doubt, call

Enjoy FP

meherio

10. Re: Air Moorea

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 16, 2010