We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To past Moorea visitors - What was your favorite excursion?

Near Future
Level Contributor
496 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
To past Moorea visitors - What was your favorite excursion?

Just curious what your favorite paid-for excursion was when you visited Moorea or Tahiti. What made it worth the money and time? What month did you go? Obviously, some months are better for whale watching, for example. Was it an ATV tour? Or something else?

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To past Moorea visitors - What was your favorite excursion?

I especially like the shark/ray feeding motu picnic. It's just a heck of a lot of fun, and something you just can't do in a lot of vacation spots around the world. And buy the DVD of it. Yes, it's expensive...but it makes the neatest souvenir to bring home.

I also like the drive up to the Belvedere. Really doesn't matter if you do it on your own in a rental car or take a tour up there. It's just a beautiful location to see the island from. Taking the tour will give you more information and history (and humorous stories)...but it's fun to do it on your own too. Basically it costs about the same for 2 to take the tour as it does to rent a car for 4-8 hours...so the cost is a wash.

Pittsfield...
Level Contributor
205 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To past Moorea visitors - What was your favorite excursion?

the 4x4 trip. our guide Tom was great. look for him, tall skinny caucasian looking guy with his name inked on his arm.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Papeete, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
2,427 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To past Moorea visitors - What was your favorite excursion?

Tom is a Scottish/Tahitian who drives for Albert

4 x4 and speaks English like a good laddie from Scotland where he attended school years ago.

Pittsfield...
Level Contributor
205 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To past Moorea visitors - What was your favorite excursion?

This is the beauty of FP, it is so small, we all share very similar experiences with the same locals.

Near Future
Level Contributor
496 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To past Moorea visitors - What was your favorite excursion?

Thanks for everyone's input! Does the moto picnic only serve BBQ type foods? I don't eat anything spicy. It must be mild or I won't eat it. It's not the taste, it's my stomach.

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To past Moorea visitors - What was your favorite excursion?

The one through Hiro's Tours served grilled chicken legs and thighs...tasty, but not spicy at all. And grilled fish, also tasty, not spicy. I'm not sure what they marinate them in, but it's not spicy.

They also serve a cold rice salad and a cold pasta salad. that are NOT spicy at all. In fact they are a bit on the dull side flavor-wise. They also serve the most delicious Tahitian pineapple and French bread.

So I don't imagine any of that would bother your stomach.

Drinks are Hinano beer, rum punch, and water.

From what I understand the food served on Albert's Tours is very similar. Except they also serve some poisson cru, which they prepare demonstration style.

Arizona
Level Contributor
62 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To past Moorea visitors - What was your favorite excursion?

Has anyone used Inner Island Tours for the 4X4 safari?

Near Future
Level Contributor
496 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To past Moorea visitors - What was your favorite excursion?

Are there any catamaran sail tours that sail around the island of Moorea? Most islands we've been to have some sort of sail tour that doesn't have to be private charter, but take up to a certain number of guests and sail around the island so you can see all the coastline and then sometimes they stop for snorkeling or something. We'll be going in the first two weeks of July, so whale watching will probably be a moot point. Or, is their a boating excursion that takes you to nearby islands. Feeding rays and such does't really interest me since we've swam with them in the wild and have already experienced interaction. But, if the moto picnic/ray feeding is at a place far out emough from the island that we get to be on the water a while, then that might be interesting. Any comments? Again, not interesting in private charter which is usually too expensive and not worth it to me.

CT
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: To past Moorea visitors - What was your favorite excursion?

4x4 was great -- I liked the pit stop for the jam :) Also enjoyed parasailing!

louwphotography.com/gallery/…240591129_SJxpk

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
340 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To past Moorea visitors - What was your favorite excursion?

My fave excursion?

Renting the bikes from our hotel and pedaling around Moorea. Seeing Opunahu Bay and Cook's Bay at our own leisurely pace was priceless; stopping at food stands along the way to eat/drink was a great memory; leaving hubby behind on the hills is something he doesn't let me forget. ;)

I suggest getting off the beaten path (not like there's much of a "beaten path" on Moorea anyway) and exploring the island's towns on your own. You get to experience her lifestyle and people like nothing before.

-J